Reset your Mac OS X password with out the install disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by earthandtone, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earthandtone macrumors newbie

earthandtone

I was speaking with a friend and he asked me about resetting his mac without the install disk and I told him well you can despite what other people tell you the only major downside is that you’ll lose all keychain passwords, but if you’ve really forgotten your password, it’s better than nothing. So I decided I would write a post telling you the simple way to reset your password without the install disk. Trust me this does work! It may take you a few times until you get it right.

http://www.earthandtone.com (taken from my website)

Hold Apple+S when booting to enter single user mode (type every thing exactly the way you see it below in single user mode)

sh/etc/tc
    passwd yourusername
    reboot
    sh/etc/tc
    passwd yourusername
    Reboot

/sbin/fsck-y
    shin /mount-uaw/
    rm /VAR/db/.applesetupdone
    Oasswd

2. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Nice, will be useful to some people, but there is an even easier way... Backup your install discs the minute you get them :p

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Not sure what "Oasswd" means.

Remember, if you do that, you need to give the new admin account a different name to the existing accounts.

4. Nate777, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015

Nate777 macrumors newbie

Nate777

Thanks. U were a huge help. The 99% of people who bought it used without disks really found your answer amusing and are amazed at how low u vgot to be to post stuff like that. Thanks from all the frustrated, hours and hours of trying to find a real answer.
    It really takes all that stress away from the most overused and ignorant answer from a guy who can't be a laugh on a forum

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: You do realize that this thread was from 2009 when only the MacBook Air shipped without discs, right?

Closing the thread to prevent further replies.

B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.