Reseting the User Password

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cesium, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cesium macrumors newbie

My sister has recently passed and I aquired her old Laptop. I don't know much about the laptop other that thats its a G4 and running OSX. I've been looking around and can't seem to find anyway to login to the laptop since I dont know her password. Does anyone here have any ideas??

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm sorry to hear that. The laptop would have come with some install discs. There is a Password Manager Utility on one of these discs that will let you reset the password. Unless you need something on the computer, it might be easier to do a complete reformat and reinstall.

3. cesium thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunatly I don't have the discs :confused: . I read on some other forum posts about booting into single user mode, and how somewhere in there you can change the password but really dont know how to do that.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you borrow someone else's discs for a moment?

5. cesium thread starter macrumors newbie

Will any OSX discs work is are they specific to the model/OS version?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some will work. All retail versions bought after this machine's build date will work. Bundled discs from similar machines should also work.

7. cesium thread starter macrumors newbie

I called around to my friends to try and find a CD but unfortunately no one had one. Is there any way to reset the password without the discs?