Resetting 2008 Late Model Mac to Factory Setting

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NY.Entrepreneur, Apr 24, 2012.

1. NY.Entrepreneur macrumors newbie

Hi

Can anyone please lead me in the right direction on how to reset my 2008 late model Mac as I would like to sell and delete all info and reset to factory original setting.

Thank You

2. NY.Entrepreneur thread starter macrumors newbie

3. NY.Entrepreneur thread starter macrumors newbie

The site you posted mentions in step 4 to click the "security option" button although when I followed the steps, this button I was unable to click. I just clicked the "erase free space" button and it didn't give me the options listed on the site you posted. However, it did give me a sliding bar and when I slid all the way over it was the "7-Pass..." although didn't give me the option for a "35-Pass...".

Why was the "security option" button not highlighted?

Thanks

4. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version is on the install medium? Have you booted from the install medium?

5. NY.Entrepreneur thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by "install medium" although Lion is installed on the system.

I dont understand what you mean "did I boot from the installed medium?". I followed the exact steps from the website you recommended and didn't mention anything about an "install medium".

6. simsaladimbamba

Do you still have your grey Restore DVDs or the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD? Use one of those, as the Lion install is bound to your Apple ID.

If you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

If you want to use Mac OS X 10.7 Lion:
    Perform a Clean Install of OS X Lion on Your Mac

7. NY.Entrepreneur thread starter macrumors newbie

I already started the other process as stated so I'll follow up after this is finished and I'll let you know.

Thanks

8. NY.Entrepreneur thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed every step to a "T" on the link you sent and after it was finished, nothing happend. I still had all files on the computer.

Any thoughts on what could have happened?

9. simsaladimbamba

Did you do the steps in Mac OS X or did you boot from the grey Restore DVD with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on it, the white Upgrade DVD with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on it or the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Recovery Partition?

I just ask, because I don't understand where you did those steps from.

10. NY.Entrepreneur thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed the steps from the link you sent me.

No DVD's.

11. simsaladimbamba

Step four, which I quoted in post #7, I guess?

But what did you do to fulfill the bolded part? How did you get into Disk Utility, or where did you start Disk Utility from?
    That is what I want to find out, as I am still confused. Do you understand, what I want to know?