Resetting 2011 Macbook Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jimmy219c, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Jimmy219c macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I wanted to erase the data so that it was like factory settings and ready to sell. I restarted with command and r, went to disk utility, clicked on my drive. Now for whatever reason here my MacBook Pro shows my HD using my the entire storage (zero storage available) even though I was only really using about 120 gb. Regardless, I hit erase and the erase process seemed to take about 15 seconds. I then reinstalled the operating system which was El Capitan and after doing that my MacBook Pro rebooted and now it is back to how it is when you first set everything up and none of my files.

Now my question is, is my data actually gone? I remember on an old MacBook when I went to erase I had to click a certain level and then it took awhile for it to delete. This took like 15 secs.

2. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

From what I read, its true if it is on the Internet right? ha. Is the the newer drives don't need or standup well to the old method of writing 1s and 0s to the drive to "Secure" erase it, perhaps it is an urban myth, but apple removed the option in the recovery mode. Apple also removed "Secure Empty Trash" as well, again, claims it doesn't work the same in Flash drives.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR