Resetting admin account on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by IrishMac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. IrishMac macrumors member

I'm doing a favor for the boss at work regarding his sons MacBook which he acquired off Ebay. He's forgotten his password and therefore can't install anything on it. I have done the usual methods to sort this but to no avail. Here's what it won't do:

1. Won't boot of the install cd as it requires authentication
    2. Won't boot into Single User or Verbose mode (just goes right to desktop)
    3. Won't reset the pram (just goes right to desktop, only chimes once)

I've found this all a bit weird. Overall the machine is in good condition and doesn't look like its been opened. Its the 2ghz model with 1gb ram. I really have no idea what to do next, apart from telling the boss to take it to the Apple Store. I mean I can't even do a hardware test as it won't boot of the install cd... bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA....

2. molala macrumors 6502a

That is weird that it won't boot from a CD. Did you try this by selecting "startup disk" from System Prefs or just holding the C button down when you start up? The latter usually doesn't require authentication.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it's got the firmware password set it won't boot from CD, etc, etc.

There's way around it if you google for it.

4. IrishMac thread starter macrumors member

No selecting the System Pref required authentication. Holding the c key on boot did nothing as it just went straight to the desktop.

From what I can tell there's no firmware set, Open Firmware isn't installed and Filevault is turned off.

I've been recommended to try the following: shut it down, unplug the power lead, disconnect the battery, hold the power button down for 5 seconds then reconnect the battery etc and reboot.

Will see how it goes.