Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaso109

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
i got a ibook with 10.3 os x on it. i dont have the admin password for it and need it reset. i dont have any of the installation or system cds. is there any untility i can download that i can use instead. i konw you can with the boot cd but i dont ahve that.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I haven't tried this but I heard that if you set a Master Password (in the Security pane of System Preferences) and then enter the incorrect Admin password a few times it'll prompt you for the Master Password and then ask you to make a new Admin Password. :)

I don't know whether you'll be able to set a Master Password without the Admin Password in the first place though. :eek:

jaso109

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
it does ask me for a master password but i dont have that either. today i got a powermac G4 os X install disc it came with a power mac i tried it in the ibook G4 but it wont boot. i hold down C and it goes right to where i need to login it wont boot from the cd. am i doing something wrong.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
you might need an iBook version, or a straight commercial OSX to boot from.
Can you mount it on the desktop and change the Start Up Disk pref to the CD? (then reboot)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
jaso109 said:
it does ask me for a master password but i dont have that either. today i got a powermac G4 os X install disc it came with a power mac i tried it in the ibook G4 but it wont boot. i hold down C and it goes right to where i need to login it wont boot from the cd. am i doing something wrong.

You generally cannot boot from a CD that came with another type of Mac.

jaso109

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
i am not very familiar with mac where do i go to set cd to boot first

jaso109

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
i found where i can change the startup disc but i cant change anything without the admin password

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
jaso109 said:
i found where i can change the startup disc but i cant change anything without the admin password
Restart your mac while holding down the 'c' key then after the installer comes up there will be a menu on top where you can reset your password. Also Dont reinstall osx, just reset the password.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Since you are trying this, I'm guess you meant you needed to change the admin password, not the master one.

1. Put the CD in.
2. Turn off the computer
3. Press and hold the "C" key.
4. Turn on the computer (while still holding the "c" key)
5. Look at the menu for something about resenting a password. Don't reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.