Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Hello,

I want to change the password on my mac but I've forgotten it. I am running Lion.

So I see that you can change your admin password using your apple id, and my apple id is linked to my mac. What apple support says is that if you enter your password wrong 3 times on the log in screen, it will have a thing that says to reset the password using the apple id. So when I try to do that, it doesn't work. Nothing shows up. (No pop up and no question mark in the password field)

It says if the pop-up window doesn't show up, it says to unlink my apple id and then put set it again. But when I try to do that (system pref > users and groups > change apple id) it says I need the admin password to do that.

So I am in a loop with no out! Help please!

mcualex

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Hello,

I want to change the password on my mac but I've forgotten it. I am running Lion.

So I see that you can change your admin password using your apple id, and my apple id is linked to my mac. What apple support says is that if you enter your password wrong 3 times on the log in screen, it will have a thing that says to reset the password using the apple id. So when I try to do that, it doesn't work. Nothing shows up. (No pop up and no question mark in the password field)

It says if the pop-up window doesn't show up, it says to unlink my apple id and then put set it again. But when I try to do that (system pref > users and groups > change apple id) it says I need the admin password to do that.

So I am in a loop with no out! Help please!

Hi honra,

I think u can reset ur Admin password in another easier way:
-Reboot ur mac and with Option key holding after power on;
-Choose RecoveryHD to enter;
-Lanuch "Terminal" in Utility pull-down menu;
-Enter the command "resetpassword" in terminal window to open Reset Password Utility;
-Select ur volume, account name, and fill in the new password twice, save,
-restart ur mac and login with the new password
-if keychain required , choose create new keychain.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
1. Learn how to boot into Single-User Mode

2. Once booted into Single-User mode and get a typing prompt type the commands (one at a time & hitting return after ever command):
a)
Code:
fsck -fy
b)
Code:
mount -uw /
c)
Code:
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
d)
Code:
reboot

Then the Mac will reboot like first boot and ask to set a password. Do that and then you have reset the system password on OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.