Resetting fans back to Apple's default

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bov, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bov macrumors 6502

Hi, i recently downloaded the application Fan Control which i thought would help cool down my MacBook Pro when on my lap, but saw that it was ineffective so decided to remove it. I later found out that it was only meant for non core2duo MacBooks. So,i removed it from my System Preferences pane since it was not actually installed in my applications folder.

after that, i noticed that my fans would not go below 3500 rpm at all. the information from the site said to try to download smcFanControl and use that to set the fans back to default, but that has not worked either.

I have read that i can reset my MBP's SMC, but i am hesitant to do that since it says on the apple site to use it only as a last resort. Does anyone else have any suggestions to try to get my fans back to Apple's default setting?

Thank you

2. bov thread starter macrumors 6502

so i think i might have found the problem. Under my Activity Monitor, i found a process called "FanControlDaemon" I quit this process but every time i restart my computer, it comes back. How do i permanently delete this process?

3. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Do a search for the process name, it might come up with the executable which you can delete. If it doesn't have the same name, you might still find something by a related name in /Library/Startup Items or /System/Library/Startup Items.

EDIT: I looked looked at the installer package, it installs the folder /Library/Startup Items/FanControlDaemon/.

4. bov thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm i dont seem to have a /Library/StartupItems Folder :confused:

i'm on Leopard if that makes a difference

5. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

You need to go to the top level of your disk, so that you see your Applications folder, your System folder and the users folder. 'Library' should be there as well, there's no startup items in there?

6. bov thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhhhhhh there we go! such a newbie mistake on my part :D

thank you very much funkychunkz! this seems to have fixed my problem, and i am back to my beautiful, silent, MBP :D