Resetting finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Feb 28, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Some mates at my school were fiddling around with my computer and I have lost the information at the bottom of each finder window telling me how much free space I have...

I would like this back but I also am not able to copy and paste any objects in the finder (to and from an external HDD) as it says there is not enough free space even though I have more than 40 gb avaliable!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

THanks

(this may also have something to do with the fact that my Mac keeps on starting up and resetting the date to 01/01/1970? Thats in another thread though!)

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Try clicking the pill-shaped gray button in the upper right hand corner of a finder window.

Time and date resetting is your PRAM battery... yours is dead.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have figured out that without the correct date and time the finder will not display the free space on the HD. This also stopped me from copy and pasting aswell! So I either have to reset the time everytime I turn on (a complete bore) or get a new PRAM battery (which was quoted as £70 for labour to find out what was wrong even though I told them it was the PRAM battery!)

Oh well there is no absolutely correct solution at the moment for this!