Resetting keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by E3BK, May 30, 2017.

1. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

So i have a new-to-me Mac Pro and keyboard at work. Both are older but work MUCH better than the PC they tried to give me prior. There is just one thing on the keyboard that is funky -

The left shift key works, the "i" key works but left Shift + "i" to get a cap I just gives me a space. the Shift + "any other letter" gives me the caps of that letter - it's just very specifically the Left Shift + "i" that is messed up. Right shift + "i" works just fine but habbit has a way of taking over when I an typing.

Anything i can do to fix other than request a new keyboard?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What does your Keyboard Viewer app show when you press that left-shift-I?
    (Turn on your input menu for the menu bar. System Preferences/Keyboard/Input Sources, then check the box for the Input Menu. Choose Keyboard Viewer from that menu :D )
    You can test ALL your keys on the keyboard, too. You may find that you have problems with other keys, too.
    Be sure to check your keys again, using a different user account on your Mac.

If it turns out to be a defective keyboard - get a different keyboard.

3. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

I forgot to check this thread before I left work but will look into it tokorrow. I already checked all the other letters with the left shift key and they work fine.

4. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

i checked the keyboard viewer and used the on-screen keys but still no luck. Keyboard is busted. :( There are a couple of other sticky keys that are forcing some weird autocorrect in my emails so I should just replace the thing now.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Try a different keyboard.
    Cheap and easy solution.