resetting macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by i am the don, May 30, 2010.

1. i am the don macrumors newbie

my admin acc and password randomly isnt working i need to install some programs and cant cuase the info isnt working weather my pass or acc name changed which would be odly weird considering i am the only person who uses my computer but any ways

is there a way i can make a new admin acc or do like a hard reset or sumthing along the lines of that?

2. revbarabbas macrumors regular

Open Terminal in Applications-->Utilities Folder
    type: passwd yourshortname
    Hit return
    Try the old password when it asks for it
    Type in a new password when it asks then again when it tells you to retype
    Unless you get "authentication token failure" the new password should work.

Otherwise you need to do a clean install of the system.

***BEFORE CONTINUING*** Backup with Time Machine and exclude the System Folder and when it asks the System Applications as well.

Insert the install DVD and restart holding down the Option key.

Choose the DVD from the menu that shows a Hard Drive and a DVD

Choose Clean Install and format your drive.

Create a new Administrator Account and choose a password you will remember.

Then choose to restore your files using Time Machine and it should restore everything including the old home folder.

Login to Account you created during the reinstall.

Then enable the root account by doing what it says here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528

Logout and login as root.

open the Users folder and rename the old home folder you were using before the reinstall to a new name...then go to System Preferences and add an Administrator Account with the same shortname as the name of the folder. It will ask you about the home folder that exists with the same name....use that folder.

Logout of root account.

Login to new username.

Disable root account by doing the same as the link told you but instead of turning on the root account you will disable it.

Delete other administrator accounts.

Everything should work...but to be safe open Disk Utility and repair permissions.

I know it sounds technical but it is the only way to ensure you keep your home folder with all your music and photos and stuff. Just make sure you do a Time Machine backup before reinstalling the system and exclude the System Folder and it will ask if you want to exclude the System Applications...do so.

After that just never forget your password or you will have to do this all over again.

3. revbarabbas macrumors regular

Unless of course you mistyped your password...that's always a big possibility (especially with all the typos you made in your post), try it again before you do this.

4. i am the don thread starter macrumors newbie

lol its the interweb dont care for typos but its the same passoword iv been using since the 4th grade and iv tried multiple times :( but ill try what you said thanks!