Resetting my Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BoerdImac, Apr 17, 2011.

1. BoerdImac macrumors newbie

so I have cluttered up my current computer so much to the point where I need to open up space.

so I was thinking what better way then to just backup everything that I for sure need to keep and can't get back on it. then just reset the entire machine. so my only problems are these:

What will happen to all of my Itunes? how will I recover that stuff?

Also how do I do this? I want to restore my entire machine to the day I bought it if possible.

so I could just start a clean slate and have it all cleaned up again.

P.S: im running the latest versions of snow leopard and all that.

2. BoerdImac thread starter macrumors newbie

umm sorry for bumping but is it possible to even do this? from the look of the amount of replies it's a no!?

3. simsaladimbamba

You mean you have filled up your internal HDD and can't delete data?
    If you have an external HDD (you should have for backups anyway), then copy some data onto it to delete it from your Mac.

Either use Time Machine or use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of your internal HDD. The clone will be bootable.

It will be included in the backup (TM, CCC or SD), unless you EXCLUDED it.
    You can simply drag the Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music / iTunes folder from the backup to the freshly installed Mac.

For Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard:

Yes.

If you'd read the rules, then you might have known, that bumping is not welcome, especially after such short amount of time.
    The lack of replies is not an indicator of an impossible query, but it may seem more like an indicator of posters ignoring your post, as the questions you have, have been answered dozens of time.