Resetting / repairing iMessage (no plist?)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by blueroom, Jul 24, 2014.

1. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'm having problems with Mavericks iMessage. The error is "xyz is not registered with iMessage" on all contacts even though they work on my iOS devices. The username also goes from blue to red.

I've reset the NVRAM & PRAM but the problem has persisted for over a week now. I've also not been able to find the iMessage plist file, seems Mavericks doesn't use one.

Any suggestions?

2. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Did you manage to fix this I have the same issue with no fix in sight - even after several clean installs and full reset of iPhone and iPad

3. leventozler macrumors 6502

Are you using a proxy server? Apple blocks some datacenter IP ranges.

4. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Nope no proxy server.

It was working fine until the other week. My iPad iPhone are working fine.
    The issue occurs on my 2013 Macbook Air only. Ive created a new user on my old white macbook (on mavericks) and signed into iMessage and it works perfectly.

I've just done an internet recovery on the Air, setup with nothing restored. Not signed into iCloud just signed into iMessage. It sees my phone number and email address, but anytime i type a (known working) address it turns red and tells me they're not registered with message?!?!?!?

There are threads on the apple support site but no fix...

I've now reset SMC / PRAM but nothing has changed. My mac refuses to send or receive iMessages

5. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

As an update I've contacted Apple support and their engineers can't solve it either!

I've been told an update is imminent that will fix it but i'm not convinced.

6. blueroom, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

blueroom thread starter macrumors 603

blueroom

No fix, something is blocking at the DNS level. Tried using my ISP's DNS and that made it so-so. It's still effectively busted, might try Googles DNS next till patch time.

PS there is a plist for messages, Mavericks hides it. Deleting it did nothing to help the problem.