Resetting the iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warburg, Nov 2, 2016.

1. warburg macrumors 6502a

How does one reset the iPhone 7? My previous iPhones were reset (rebooted) by simultaneously holding down the sleep-wake and home buttons and then releasing them. My wife and i just started to use her iPhone 7 and my iPhone 7 Plus. Neither of them seems to reset this way. Is there another way to reset them, or are we just doing something wrong?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Instead of holding down the home button (which is differently designed now) hold down the volume down button.

3. Tommo66 macrumors newbie

If you mean a hard reset hold the sleep/wake button and the volume down button at the same time and that should force the phone to reboot.

4. itsray macrumors 6502

what people said above unless you want a whole restore. which is holding the power button and volume down if you have a 7 or the home button on a 6s/6/5s. then load up iOS on your computer and everything should be fine. if it isn't and you didn't restore from a back up, take it in.

5. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

What doesn't?

7. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Holding down the home button and the lower volume button simultaneously doesn't reset the iPhone 7.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Power button and volume down, as C DM said.

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You hold down the lower volume button and the power button at the same time. You do not touch the home button at all.

10. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

W
    Well, when I do this, what happens is that the volume goes down and the phone shuts off completely. It doesn't come back up when I release the buttons. I have to start the phone back up.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    Oops. I got it. I wasn't holding the buttons down long enough. Thanks.