residue on charging cord for new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewj, Nov 19, 2016.

1. andrewj macrumors regular

Just started using the new MBP 15". Any other users notice a residue coating the cord used for charging the MBP? I have an older MBP 15" Retina, and this residue like sensation isn't as prominent (though maybe it's because it's older).

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

This sent peculiar images into my mind...

Are you complaining about this "residue" or just pointing it out? Is it not just the rubber coating?

3. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

That " residue ", is due to the type of plastic / rubber mold mix they use. It's just the way apple cords are designed , they like to be " unique ".

4. andrewj thread starter macrumors regular

I wish the cord just felt a little bit smoother; the residue seems to stick to your hands.

5. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

only if you rub it to " feel it ", just picking it up and moving it shouldn't case that feeling you're getting. Besides, their is no actual residue ON the cord, it just feels like their is because of the way the rubber feels. If you're fingers have something noticeably sticky on them ( note : sticky, not the feeling of sticky ), then their is likely something off about it.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Innuendo goldmine right there :D

7. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

No... that would be if the cable seemed stiff... lol

8. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The cables are 'stickier' than they used to be and I believe this is due to a transition to more environmentally-friendly materials. Of all Apple cables though, the USB-C Charge Cable does appear to be the one that is the stickiest and attracts the most dirt.

9. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Hmmm.... environmentally friendly... I hadn't ever considered that my Apple brand cables were just biodegrading. That explains why I buy so many replacement cables.

10. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I know this is a lighthearted post but I will still be grumpy and retort that all this stuff will be binned one day and it's great Apple is removing toxins from their products. :p