resignFirstResponder on keyboard not working?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dantastic, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dantastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2011
    Well, it kindof is.

I have a add player button that adds a uitableviewcell at the bottom of my uitableview.

The cell has a text field that I make 'becomeFirstResponder' I then shift the view and the offset so that the tableview covers the top half of the screen and the keyboard the bottom half of the screen.

This way I can see the textfield I'm typing in to.

If I type whatever into the text field and press done the keyboard drops down and my view return to normal.

If I just tap done without typing anything onto the text field the view return to normal but the keyboard doesn't drop.

[textField setDelegate:self];
    	textField.returnKeyType = UIReturnKeyDone;
    	[textField addTarget:self action:@selector(textFieldDone:) forControlEvents:UIControlEventEditingDidEndOnExit];			
    	[cell.contentView addSubview:textField];
    	[textField becomeFirstResponder];
    - (IBAction)textFieldDone:(id)sender {
    	NSLog(@"I am being called when 'done' is pressed - always!");
    	[self resignFirstResponder];
    If I comment out the [textField becomeFirstResponder]; the keyboard is behaving correctly (but I have to select the text field manually) so I suspect that I'm not asking the right component to 'resignFirstResponder' in the case there is no text in the textField.

What component do I need to 'resignFirstResponder' in this case?

2. cnstoll macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2010
    Try resigning first responder and returning YES in the "textFieldShouldReturn" method.
  3. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2011