Resistance 2 for a PC gamer

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Chone, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I've always been a PC and console gamer, however, I'm still VERY much used to playing VASTLY different games on each platform (generally FPS and RTS on PC and the rest on console), however this generation has mixed thing up a bit.

I prefer all my shooters on PC, I just like the control and the better graphics, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Dead Space, etc, I bought them all for PC. Not to say I can't play a shooter with a gamepad, I used to be very big on TimeSplitters 2 in the PS2 but for me there's just no comparison.

I am however, buying a PS3 for all the exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank and some other exclusive console gems like Ninja Gaiden Sigma (which is pretty cheap nowadays) or Soul Calibur IV and of course some great looking PSN games like Wipeout HD or the upcoming Fat Princess game.

However I see all this hoopla for Resistance 2 and I'm wondering if someone can identify with my situation and maybe explain to me if I could enjoy the game, it certainly looks cool but what makes it worth while when I already have a gaming PC and have played pretty much all of the top FPS games in the past decade.

Basically what I'm asking is, is Resistance 2 an overall great game and great shooter or is it a great shooter by console standards?

Or if you want to see it another way, anyone here a serious PC gamer that has also enjoyed console-exclusive FPS like Resistance?

Please for all PC hating and console loving fanboys, stay out of this thread, I only want intelligent, relaxed people replying please :)

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Although you do have some awesome gaming rig to play your FPSs on, I still think that you should at least try out some console exclusive shooters. I'll be buying Resistance 2 tomorrow but the beta was great. The weapons were very different from most shooters (this IS Insomniac of course) and the story mode looks great. Of course... I can't really connect with you. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, I just play TF2! Maybe on Saturday I can post a first impression for you once I play the full game.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

4. evan g macrumors regular

I would go for it. I mean, heck, you bought a PS3, right?

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If you like the weapons in Ratchet & Clank then R2 is right up your alley. R2 throws waves of enemies at you and the campaign isn't a walk in the park.

I would recommend it for the multiplayer alone.

Bless

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I did not enjoy R1 and Im a PC gamer. I didnt play the whole game though, I just played the demo. I uninstalled it right away. I also played the R2 beta but that was just multiplayer, I found it horrible because it seemed identical to Quake 3 style deathmatches, I expect a lot more substance in multiplayer games now instead of just run-shoot-die-respawn. I played it for like 5 minutes before quitting the game since it simply was not fun in the slightest bit. Maybe its because I find the controls too hard, but either way I hated it, it was way too oldschool and simple.

I have never been impressed by a console FPS though outside of Goldeneye (and that was thanks to its controls, the way the gun moved to point at your target when auto-aim kicked in was great for console controls)

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Wow. I've been loving the game so far. I started off playing Campaign. Starts in Iceland, the played through the San Fransisco level. They were both sweet. Tons of enemies. Some huge ones too. And the boss at the end of San Fran looked sweet! It was pretty cool. Everything looks great, and all the ships in San Fransisco are just amazing! Anyway... pretty good overall. It's not too easy (on the normal difficulty) but it's just right. The weapons are sweet too (although not all are new). The bullseye works great, and it's what I usually carry. Revolver is pretty useful, the Fareye is cool (and the focus mode is interesting). But the most interesting one (that I've used so far) is the Splicer. It shoots semi-homing saw blades. Very cool. Online seems pretty balanced. I just played on Deathmatch before stopping today. It was great!

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've played both - and beaten both. And I can say without any hesitation that Resistance 2 is PURE GARBAGE.

Everything that made Resistance 1 fun and unique is now gone. No more driving Tanks, Stalkers, and Cars. Not even turrets and machine guns -- NOTHING but hand weapons. As for hand weapons, well, there are fewer weapons, with what, 2 "new" ones? A truckload of glitches - enemies stuck to walls and trees trying to run at you, a bus that bounces around the stage after blowing up (for the entire game). The story -- wait, where did that story go? If you didn't play the first one, you'd wonder WTF you're playing for.

SPOILER ALERT***

No chance of a redeeming sequel with Mr. Hale, as he's dead now.

This game killed a great franchise in my eyes. My friends keep begging me to try the online multiplayer again - but I'm going to sell it for the first 30 bucks I see.