Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom Foolery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
please can sombody tell me how to resize their bootcamp partition and is it possible to use a 3rd party windows program to resize the partitions.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Assuming you mean without blowing away the Windows installation on it, I was able to do that successfully yesterday with Partition Magic 8 within Windows. I haven't had luck with Leopard's Disk Utility, though, because it can't dynamically resize non-OS X formatted disks (and can't touch NTFS at all other than to reformat). So I'd suggest trying Partition Magic.

Tom Foolery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
sorry bud but just to make sure were perfectly clear, you used partition magic 8 on your windows partition to resize it. and it worked perfectly leaving all your data on both sides of the hard drive in tact

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Yes, I used Partition Magic 8 from within Windows. I resized the Windows (BootCamp) partition, as well as a second partition after it on the drive. I left the third partition (OS X journaled) at the end of the drive alone. All of those partitions are on my second hard drive, FYI. Doing so left the OS and data on my Windows drive intact.

That being said, BACKUP FIRST. And at least now that I've said it I can't be blamed if you don't :p

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Assuming you mean without blowing away the Windows installation on it, I was able to do that successfully yesterday with Partition Magic 8 within Windows. I haven't had luck with Leopard's Disk Utility, though, because it can't dynamically resize non-OS X formatted disks (and can't touch NTFS at all other than to reformat). So I'd suggest trying Partition Magic.

Can you use the free trial to resize it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.