Resize OSX Partition for Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sigmundfreund, Sep 22, 2012.

1. sigmundfreund macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm trying to install bootcamp but I get stuck at the very first step of partitioning. I have a 320gb drive that came with the MBP and when freshly installing ML I have allocated the whole drive for OSX, thinking I won't use bootcamp anymore anyway. (note I've had bootcamp in the past but for ML i wanted a total fresh install of OSX)

Well, I was wrong. I'm in need of W7 so I've started the Bootcamp assistant but the thing won't let me shrink my OSX partition past 268GB, leaving 51GB for Windows. The thing is, there is over 200GB+ available in free space. The plan was to give W7 something in the range of 100GB.

Is this a bug? A defrag error? Is it possible to bypass it without having to reinstall the whole thing all over again, or getting myself a new drive to copy the data to?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Attached Files:

2. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I ave had this issue in the past. I used disk utility to copy the partition to a new one at the end of the disk (51gb). Then boot to the 51gb partition, and run disk utility again to delete the original osx partition. Then recreate a smaller osx partition and copy back. Rears in the now new partition and delete the second partition you created. Finally grow the third partition to the full disk size and run boot camp.

Alternatively, install win7 on that 51gb partition and use camp tune from the windows side to adjust both partition sizes.

3. sigmundfreund thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me translate the screenshot: Disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Now I've googled this and a possible solution is to back it all up to an external drive, resize en put the backup back. Guess I'll have to find a drive big enough somewhere.

Attached Files: