resize partitions Macintosh HD and BootCamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maxi86, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Maxi86 macrumors regular

Hi there everyone!

Currently I have this setup (as seen from Windows):
    - BOOTCAMP (C: ): 86,7 GB free of 150 GB 63,3 GB used
    - Macintosh HD (E: ): 88,4 GB free of 129 GB 40,6 GB used
    - Media (F: ): 2,77 GB free of 651 GB 648 GB used

obviously I've made the OS drives way too big... and I need the extra space for my Media partition...
    so I wonder whether it's possible to adjust the size without losing any data of course. and my OS drives are fairly constant, I don't need much extra space there anymore.

so I think this resize would be fine:
    - BOOTCAMP (C: ) from 150GB to 75GB
    - Macintosh HD (E: ) from 129GB to 50GB
    - Media (F: ) from 651GB to 805GB

Since I created these partition sizes using Disk Utility in Mac, it would be easier if it's possible to resize everything with that too...
    but before trying out myself, I would like some confirmation or extra advice regarding the desired sizes...

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Since you're planning the whole SSD adventure, I'd recommend just upgrading to a 2TB HDD while you are at it, and then just consider leaving the partitions as is.

No matter how non-destructive a tool you might use the potential for disaster is always there when you do this kind of operation.

It's far easier to start with a fresh canvas and use the old drive as the source of your data. Use CCC/SuperDuper to clone your old (large) OS X partition to a new (smaller?) one. Use Winclone to do the same for Windows, then create a new media partition and populate that with the data from the old media partition.

B

3. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

the Apple Premium Reseller is not really helpful... they only agree to upgrade my iMac if I buy my parts from them... and as you guessed it, they charge ridiculous prices...

If I ordered the SSD and 4x RAM myself it would be €425... they ask for €635, plus €80 for the costs of the actual upgrade. I didn't agree to that.
    Now I'm putting it to an hold until I find someone else who's more helpful.

In the mean time, I ordered a Drobo (2nd generation) plus 2 x 2TB HDD. I will use that as my external HDD, backup etc.

I was just wondering whether resizing my internal partitions would be such a big deal. Is it not safe?

Let's say I have made those clones, should I try it then?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The process can take a lot of time, and there is always risk.

I generally find that I can never fully predict what my needs will be down the line. I used to keep my Windows partition as minimal, but then when I needed to install an app urgently I didn't have the space for it.

Not worth it, especially if the media files are going to go on the Drobo soon, but that's just MHO.

The RAM upgrade is pretty trivial, and is designed to be done by the user, I would encourage you to try that for yourself.

B

5. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

oh well, in that case I can just wait a few days... then transfer most Media to the Drobo indeed.

I might go for only the RAM upgrade after all. It's simple and clean. When upgrading to SSD, it will take a lot of effort and time to set it up like now again. I'll keep it mind for my second iMac in the future ;)
    One that has it all... let's hope Apple adds some fricking HDMI-port and maybe a Blu-ray player! But that's just wishful thinking...

6. simsaladimbamba

You could always clone the internal HDD to the SSD in a USB 2.0 enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs.
    You could use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.