Resizing a Partition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .fred, Dec 30, 2007.

1. .fred macrumors regular

Hello.

Is there a way to resize a partition with the built-in Disk Utility? Or is there an app to do it, without losing data that is?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think disk utility in Leopard can do it, but I would definitely back up before just in case, and you should back up anyway.

3. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

ipartition
    "iPartition is a disk partitioning utility for Mac OS X with the ability to resize Mac OS extended (HFS+) partitions and Windows partitions while keeping their contents intact."

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yes, Disk Utility can do this on some volumes, depending on the partition scheme. GUID Partition Table volumes can be resized, Apple Partition Map and Master Boot Record volumes cannot.

To see what kind of partition map scheme you have on a disk, to do Disk Utility, highlight the disk and look at the last row in the second column at the bottom of the window.

5. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hey heb, could you show me a screenshot of which column i can check? Thanks!

@stealthninja: Is there a free alternative to iPartition?

@mrkramer: Could you guide me on how to do it? Thanks!

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

In Leopard you can partition any unused disk space. The blue area is used disk space. By selecting the + at the bottom of the hard drive / partition selection it will default to partition the unused space. You can the adjusted to the size you want. At least I think I have not partitioned anything myself, so please be careful and back up anything you have. Also make sure you do not have it selected to erase the disk.

EDIT: I did a double check and this way will not erase your start up disk.

Attached Files:

7. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja