Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
unfortunately my issue is compounded by not now having a working dvd drive in my 2009 mac mine, but this was the reason i spend 20 euro on camptune, if i had a working drive id have saved money and reinstalled bootcamp in a smaller partition.

i bought camptune to reduce my bootcamp partition from 200 gigs to 160 gigs of my 320 gigs internal drive. before doing so i deleted most of my steam games to get the bootcamp partition down so much that there was 115 gigs of space of the 200 gigs.

the first time i ran camptune x it told me that it couldnt do anything due to errors in bootcamp drive, so i restarted in windows 7 and ran the disc checker which found some errors and fixed them. i ran it again and no errors found. then i ran defragmentation, then the disc checker again, all fine.

back into os x, ran camptune x. all worked fine. restarted into windows, which i can do either from restart menu or from holding down alt. both show windows as an option and both get same result.

find --set-root--ignore-floppies--ignore-cd /wedaolu
Error 15: File not found
Press any key to continue....

restarted various times in various ways, same result.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
The problem is that OS X wants to have a GPT partitioning scheme and Windows a MBR. With bootcamp you end up with a hybrid partitioning scheme which is by nature unstable. Any fiddling aorund with the bootcamp partitioning and you run the risk of corruption and it looks like it happened here.

I gave up long time ago trying to run Bootcamp on the same drive as OS X for that very reason (I need an ultra reliable method to restore quickly if needed; I need a stable system - down time can cost me dearly Unfortunately most people give only a token thought towards backups. You'd be surprised how many make a backup and never have done a restore and when it comes to the crumch the restore does not work. I know of one firm that was backing up a dummy disk for years and when they had a HDD fail there was no data to restore - never tested with real data).

Hopefully you have a backup of the Bootcamp partition made with Winclone before you started to fiddle around which you can restore. (no affiliation, just a very happy user)

edit: I remember testing Paragon out 18 months or so ago and it failed miserably. Prior to that I had under windows also some spectacular Paragon failures. It is in my bad books.

PS It depends on how valuable your Windows data is and how valuable your OS X data is. One thing you can do to recover the windows data is to let Windows do a repair but it is highly likely that it will convert the whole disk to MBR and you be loosing the OS X partition requiring total reinstall. However the data on windows might need salvaging in that way.

Last edited:

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
The problem is that OS X wants to have a GPT partitioning scheme and Windows a MBR. With bootcamp you end up with a hybrid partitioning scheme which is by nature unstable. Any fiddling aorund with the bootcamp partitioning and you run the risk of corruption and it looks like it happened here.

I gave up long time ago trying to run Bootcamp on the same drive as OS X for that very reason (I need an ultra reliable method to restore quickly if needed; I need a stable system - down time can cost me dearly Unfortunately most people give only a token thought towards backups. You'd be surprised how many make a backup and never have done a restore and when it comes to the crumch the restore does not work. I know of one firm that was backing up a dummy disk for years and when they had a HDD fail there was no data to restore - never tested with real data).

Hopefully you have a backup of the Bootcamp partition made with Winclone before you started to fiddle around which you can restore. (no affiliation, just a very happy user)

edit: I remember testing Paragon out 18 months or so ago and it failed miserably. Prior to that I had under windows also some spectacular Paragon failures. It is in my bad books.

PS It depends on how valuable your Windows data is and how valuable your OS X data is. One thing you can do to recover the windows data is to let Windows do a repair but it is highly likely that it will convert the whole disk to MBR and you be loosing the OS X partition requiring total reinstall. However the data on windows might need salvaging in that way.

i havent got a backup of the windows side. :eek: my only excuse is that there wasnt any files i needed to keep and i didnt think through getting windows back onto it sans disc. all i use the partition for is steam gaming, and i still have access to the files so i can go in and backup my fallout save game :D which is probably the only file id want to keep.

can i re install bootcamp without using a windows dvd, by using a usb stick or something? im happy to wipe the lot and start again rather than take any risk of buggering up everything

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
i havent got a backup of the windows side. :eek: my only excuse is that there wasnt any files i needed to keep and i didnt think through getting windows back onto it sans disc. all i use the partition for is steam gaming, and i still have access to the files so i can go in and backup my fallout save game :D which is probably the only file id want to keep.

can i re install bootcamp without using a windows dvd, by using a usb stick or something? im happy to wipe the lot and start again rather than take any risk of buggering up everything

also, would buying an external drive, either preferrably a cheap one, or a mac superdrive, work ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.