resizing multiple jpegs at once

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
I have around 150 or so jpegs I took while on vacation. I got a new canon G5 and took them in 2592x1944 superfine. each file is around 3.5 megs. I have made a copy of all the files so I have the originals in the original size and res. I want to be able to re size all these images for web use without having to open each one in photoshop individally. Is there a app that can do this, or can I re size in iPhoto. Doing each one individually in iPhoto would not be as bad as Photoshop. As you can tell I'm not to familiar with iPhoto, I do all my editing in photoshop, iPhoto is just for organization on my computer.

Thanks.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
gwuMACaddict said:
you can export them from iphoto in to any format/size you'd like.

can you do more then one at a time? I know if I do a lot at once, my box will not be able to handle it, but 2 or 3 at a time would sure save a hell of a lot of time.

EDIT: answered my own question.

Thanks for the help.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Is there a command line util out there that will resize jpgs? If so, you could whip up a quick script to do it with -- ImageMagick might be able do do it (can get it from fink).

MP

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Alternatively, you can use a handy little droplet Apple has on their website that allows you to scale images by a certain percentage. I use it all the time and it works great. Just drag as many items onto the icon as you'd like to scale, enter the reduction percentage, and it scales and saves all the images. Very useful.

It's under "Scale image(s) by percentage" under the "Window Contents" section.
http://www.apple.com/applescript/toolbar/

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Gimzotoy said:
Alternatively, you can use a handy little droplet Apple has on their website that allows you to scale images by a certain percentage. I use it all the time and it works great. Just drag as many items onto the icon as you'd like to scale, enter the reduction percentage, and it scales and saves all the images. Very useful.

It's under "Scale image(s) by percentage" under the "Window Contents" section.
http://www.apple.com/applescript/toolbar/

Sweet, thanks

Biker21098

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2002
CA
great solutions but...

Those are all great, but a free, little app, that is really quite fast and has many different options and even allows you to rename the pics is, Resize!X. you can find it on versiontracker. or here

Hope this helps, batch in photoshop is great, just takes more time.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
You can use an Automator "Finder Plugin" to do the job.
ie: right-click on a group of files and choose "Automator>Scale Images"

You can optionally create more complex routines such as "move images, rename, add Spotlight comments, then scale" etc...

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Or use Galerie if you want to resize them and create a webpage all at once.

The Void
All you do to me is torx talk

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
There really are about 2 dozen ways to realistically accomplish this, aren't there? That's great.