Resizing my FAT32 Windows partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slowpoke, Oct 24, 2007.

1. slowpoke macrumors regular

slowpoke

So, I installed Boot Camp on my new MBP yesterday, and stuck XP SP2 on a 20GB FAT32 partition. I've since decided that I made a mistake in making it quite so small, and I'd like to replace it with a 30GB partition of the same filesystem. How would I go about doing this nondestructively? Thank you.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry not sure, but perhaps use something like "Partition magic" would do the job .. :apple:

3. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Resize the mac partition again with Disk Utility and then in windows you can use Partition Magic to do so (If you can find a copy, Norton doesnt sell it anymore..) or GParted linux livecd should do the trick as well :)

4. slowpoke thread starter macrumors regular

slowpoke

Hmm; I'm looking at Partitionmagic now as well as a mac app called Volumeworks. Does anyone have any experiences with either of these?

I'm completely new to Macs and I'm a little wary... Does it have a GUI? How do I use it?

5. slowpoke thread starter macrumors regular

slowpoke

Okay, I figured it out after much deliberation, and discovered a pretty good way to do things myself, completely bypassed all utilities except bootcamp, didn't have to touch the command line... It's 4:30 AM now though, so I'll write it up in the morning; could be helpful to other people. :)

6. slowpoke thread starter macrumors regular

slowpoke

Okay, so here's what I did...

Note: This method does not apply to NTFS partitions in any way. If you want an NTFS volume, this guide won't be much help.

1. Do a file backup of the Windows partition. I made a folder called 'Windows Backup' on my desktop, opened the Windows partition in Finder, and copied everything into the backup folder - preserving the filestructure and all. This took about 45 minutes on my 20GB Windows partition.

Note: An image backup might work, but I didn't test this...

2. Reformat the hard drive into one partition. Obviously this wipes the Windows partition. Make sure you have completely backed up the Windows partition before you do this! Open Boot Camp Assistant, restore the disc to a single OS X volume, and reboot your Mac.

3. Run BC Assistant and create a new Windows partition. I upped the ante to 32GB. If you still have your drivers CD kicking around, don't bother burning another one.

3a. Defragment. Not a step I encountered myself, but worth mentioning because I've heard this can happen - Boot Camp might tell you that it cannot move files, so you'll have to use a defrag utility to fix this.

4. Start the Windows install. Once the partitioning is done, insert your Windows disc and click 'start installation'. Your computer will be rebooted and the XP installer will start.

5. Format your partition for Windows. Wait for it to load all the necessary stuff. Select the C: partition, and format it as FAT. I personally chose the 'quick' option; it didn't seem to make any difference in the final product. The installer will tell you it's going to be using FAT32. Confirm this, and let everything continue until the installer reboots.

6. Restore your files. Keep watching your computer. As soon as it starts rebooting, hold down the option/alt key. When prompted, boot into Mac OS X. Once in OS X, drag all the files from your new Windows partition into the trash. You might have to unlock a few of the files to do this. Go to file - get info and uncheck 'locked', then try deleting again. Once this is done, empty your trash. Now, before doing ANYTHING ELSE, copy the following four files from your backup folder to the root of your new Windows partition:

ntldr
    NTDETECT.COM
    boot.ini
    PAGEFILE.SYS

Now, after all of these have been copied directly to the root of your Windows volume, copy everything else. This could take a little while, so go have a few beers or something while you wait.

7. Test your new Windows partition. Reboot your computer, hold down the option key, boot into Windows. If it works... Rejoice!

I have tested all of the above and this method worked perfectly for me. Even so, I'm not responsible if you cock anything up.