Resizing paritions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Foolery, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

i think i'm going to install windows xp, i really only want it for games and the odd program. but i'm worried that i will screw up and either give to much hd space to windows or not give it enough. once i've created the partition can i resize it to suit my needs, if so how?

and second if i get spyware or a virus on the windows side do i need to worry about it getting into my mac side cause that would totally suck ass.

thanks

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

How big is your hard drive now?
    Using MacDrive, you can read/write to your OS X partition and if you give XP too little space, then you can use MacDrive to put things on your OS X partition.

Spyware and viruses will only affect the Windows partition. Install AVG and Spybot all the same though.

3. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

right now i have a 160 gig but i only have 120 left

sorry i don't fully understand. so it isn't possible to resize the partition without reinstalling windows

4. ncshawng macrumors member

It MAY be possible -- I''ve not tried Partition Magic (a Windows-based partitioning utility) under Boot Camp, and perhaps iPartition (I think that's the name) may work -- never used it but don't know for sure.

BUT -- is it worth all of the headache and hassle of restoring your system if your attempt at resizing fails?

I suggest setting up a 32 GB Boot Camp partitiion. 32 GB is the maximum size that can be specied for FAT (actually FAT32) partitions, and FAT can be read and written by OSX.

I don't think there is anything to prevent you from setting up another 32 GB partition (formatted as FAT) which would give you 64 GB total. If you need more than that, then why are you bothering to run OSX?

MacDrive is the way to go, and gives you the best of both worlds.....this way you only need a single Boot Camp partition for Windows, and overflow storage of files can be stored in a folder on your OSX partition.