Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I'm thinking about expanding my XP partition, I thought 25gb would be fine for me but I'm bursting now!

I was surprised to see that OSX didn't need a format when I installed Bootcamp and partitioned the drive. I thought formats and partitions went hand in hand?

Will either my partitions wipe if I resize them?

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
if you use bootcamp assistant or disk utility from within OS X and change the partition size, the bootcamp partition will be erased, from what i understand.

steveski

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
easter island
I tried doing exactly that a while ago, after much research I didn't get anywhere, I just bought an external hard-drive and your uncle is bob.

Its yet another expense but as far as I can see its the only realistic solution.

mileslong

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Newport Beach, CA
Need to reinstall Vista, move partition in boot camp, please help!

ok, my girlfriends intel Imac has boot camp which i had installed and had the minimum partition for windows (25 GB i believe) i was running a beta version of vista ultimate that windows sent me last year but it expired the other day and now will let me only open it in safe mode.

i went out and bought a retail version of vista ultimate and now i need to not only reinstall it but also my GF needs more room on the windows partition for several large programs.

my questions are these:

1) how can i resize the boot camp partition, do i have to delete the one thats there or is there a way to just move the partition over to increase the size.

2) i know there is a newer version of boot camp out, do i just download it and install it over the ones thats there first before attempting the increase?

3) will installing this new vista package install over my current one or will it delete it since it was a beta version, will i lose all the data thats currently there?

4) i dont remember how i installed bootcamp before, will i need the imac startup disc for anything? my GF is having trouble finding it now :( what is the procedure to install boot camp?

thanks for your help!

%)

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Ah, so no definite answer? I'm backing my files up now to be safe. Gonna pump up the Windows partition to 40gb and let OSX sit pretty with the external drive (300+60) and the internal 120gb.

HFS is smart. I'm hoping this will work out fine, I don't fancy installing all them OSX updates and putting files back where they were :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.