Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mom2chessies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Hi, I just got a Mac Book Pro and was trying to figure out how to resize photos in iPhoto, but I can't find how/if it's possible. Is iPhoto just for importing and storing and I need a separate editing program?

Thank you for you help!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi, I just got a Mac Book Pro and was trying to figure out how to resize photos in iPhoto, but I can't find how/if it's possible. Is iPhoto just for importing and storing and I need a separate editing program?

Thank you for you help!

You don't re-size a photo until you export it out of iPhoto. Then you are given several options or can make your own custom sizes. The photo that stays in the library is never changed.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You don't re-size a photo until you export it out of iPhoto. Then you are given several options or can make your own custom sizes. The photo that stays in the library is never changed.

Right -- you can crop in iPhoto, but there's no point from the iPhoto conceptual perspective in reducing the size of the image (or enlarging it, I guess, since iPhoto doesn't give you any useful tools to use with the enlarged image anyways). So, you resize it on export when you want to do something with it where the size in pixels is actually relevant. That's the same reason why there's no point in converting an image out of its native image format before it leaves iPhoto, either.

However, once you choose to export the image, the dialogs are pretty self explanatory for locking it to the desired size. :)

sorelj

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
How to resize a photo?

I, too, am trying to resize a photo. I understand that I cannot do so in iphoto, so I have moved a copy to my desktop. I had read that when I opened it in Preview that I would find "Adjust Size" as an option under Tools, but that is not one of my options. When I click on "export", then it wants to export to Picasa or KodakEasyShare, but what I want is to have the resized photo on my hardrive. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to resize this photo. Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.