Resizing pictures in Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by misschung, Nov 22, 2010.

1. misschung macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    First off, I apologize if this has been posted already, but I didn't find anything in my search results.

I am new to Macs, and am used to working with Microsoft Publisher. I am creating a card with the greeting card template in Pages, and want to import a background image from my hard drive. When I insert the picture, I am unable to drag it to resize the image without resizing it both vertically AND horizontally. For example, if I drag the lower right corner to the right in order to fill the card width, the program also increases the image vertically so that it's larger than the card. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In other words, you want to allow the image to stretch, which will distort it but will allow it to be any shape instead of the original aspect ratio?

In the Inspector palette, with the image selected, click on the Metrics tab (looks like a ruler). There's a checkbox that says "Constrain proportions", which means it will force it to maintain the original aspect ratio. Uncheck it, and it will behave the way I think you want. Just keep in mind that it will cause the image to distort (you may or may not care for any given image), and it will not carry over to other images, so you'll have to do that for each image. If you just have the Inspector open anyways, though, it's not a big deal to go check that box.

jW

3. misschung thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! This is just a generic holiday background that's almost all solid, so it's probably okay that it doesn't maintain the aspect ratio.