Resolution and heat in the i5 and i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michial, Sep 18, 2010.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

I have been laboring for weeks to determine which macbook pro to purchase. We are new to apple having only enjoyed the iphone and ipad. We only have used windows desktops and laptops but love the look of the macbook pro's and imacs. We want a desktop replacement laptop. We just want to move it around the home and now and then take it out somewhere so we dont care about the 15 or 17 being too big. Dont want an imac as we do want some limited mobility.

Regarding the resolution issue I am drawn to the 17 because the 1900 x 1200 looks awesome. I am not sure if I like to 1440 x 900. It seems a bit blurry and not as sharp.Dont care for the antiglare as I love the corner to corner glass look and Ill have it indoors mainly. Any thoughts or experiences with the 1900x1200 vs the 15inch options as I have only used both for a bit in the local apple store?

I have heard the i7 2.66 in the 15 and 17 pros run extremely hot, too hot to even use on your lap. Is this true because I wanted to get the i7? I have had too many windows pc laptop fry over the course of two to three years from over heating and fear putting 2k into a good looking machine that will internally melt in a couple years. If it is just a design for the heat to dissipate out from the inside to be absorbed into the unibody that is fine if that is the case. Any body know, or does anyone who has the i7 in the 15 or 17 know?

So if the heat isnt too bad in the i7 I will get it in the i7. If the i5s run much cooler I will get the i5. If it is worth the money to get the 1900x1200 resolution I will get the 17inch, if not Ill stick witht he 1440x900 or the 1650x1050 or whatever that is. Is the higher resolution nicer and is the i7 cool enough? Thanks for the help. Sorry for the long post.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Welcome to the world of Apple. If you like the iPad and iPhone... woah boy! Macs are super-powered iOS devices! It should all come natural, as they work very similar and appear the same!

I don't know what to tell you about resolutions, it's personal preference. Don't forget the 15" Models have the option for a 1680x1050 res display.

Yes, powerful computers run very hot... when they use a lot of power. Modern macs run cooler than most notebooks. When you're web-browsing and such, you won't hardly notice the temps. Heck, I have to run my MacBook Pro at 100% CPU for several minutes before I even feel it. I run GPU and CPU intensive games on my lap with little discomfort. You'll be fine! Unlike regular laptops, they don't sound and feel like mini hair dryers. My MacBook Pro is silent in everyday use!

Don't worry about investing in an Apple device. Hey... I'm posting this on a PowerBook G4 from 2003 right now! These things were all over tech-news sources for being notoriously hot! However, it's running just as fine as day one! *wipes sweat from lap*
    The PowerBook G4 idles at 50-60ºc whereas I hear most MacBook Pro's idle between 25-35ºc. Google it, for it knows more than I.

3. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

Thanks for the reply. What is your opinion on the resolution? I know its a preference but there is wisodom in hearing others thoughts. My wife and I love the iphone and ipad. We live here near Redmond, WA and its almost a taboo as we are in Bill Gates land here. I am no fanboy of any company. I do like windwoes (nice spin hugh) but the systems break down every two to three years and are ugly and not fun to use.
    We enjoy the ios devices we have. Ive heard the i7s are super hot though. I suppose there is a lap top fan I could buy but there are so loud.

My wife loves playing sims 3 on high settings. She loves the architectural aspects of building but I want to know if the macbook pros will be able to handle it without melting? Thanks again

4. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I have a MBP 15in i7 Hi-res antiglare.

Honestly, don't worry about the heat on these machines. Just use common sense and you won't have any problems at all.

Meaning, don't play the Sims 3 in bed while covering the vents. Use a hard flat surface.

I play starcraft 2 and team fortress 2 for extended periods of time. The case gets pretty warm, but its already been said a million times. The case gets hot because it conducts heat, the internals aren't in any danger.

Oh, and i have a 1 1/2 year old Asus gaming laptop. Now that thing gets SCORCHING hot compared to my MBP. That asus laptop is also still running fine =). Seeing that the MBP is cooler, i'd definitely not worry.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I highly doubt any Sims game will take full advantage of an i5 or i7.

Don't worry about the temperatures... just don't. When you need to edit an HD video or render some major Photoshop images, just put it on a fan on your desk.

My fan broke last year and since then, I've been pretty grateful! I've been playing games that tax my system like nothing else, but it never gets hot enough for me to consider ever buying another fan, period. All you have to do is be aware that the vents are on the back under the display hinge, so don't block these. You aren't going to melt your computer, otherwise, and it won't bother you doing web browsing, watching HD video and editing pictures in iPhoto.

Personally, I like higher resolution. More resolution means more space. That's that. Some people spaz out over the smaller fonts and GUI elements, but meh, those are the same noobs that buy 15" notebooks that have a 1280x800 resolution and cry about letterbox-format movies.

6. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

Thanks. What 15inch processor do you have? I heard the mbp unibody absorbs the heat, pulling it off the internal parts so while it feels hot the insides are not as hot. Is that actually true or do these things bake and melt as quickly as pc laptops do every 2-3 years?

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Once again:

PowerBook G4. Seven-years of use. Hottest Mac Portable ever made. Still running like a top.

8. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

Thanks Mrchetto. I like your style. What is your opinion on whether I shoudl get the 15 or 17 inch i7? The 15 has 1650x1050 the 17 has 1900x1200?

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I think that the resolutions and screen sizes sort of cancel eachother out, so the GUI would appear the same on the Hi-Res 15" and the 17" side-by-side. So the only question you should ask yourself is whether you want more screen size (2 more inches plus more pixels) or smaller fonts on the 15".

What do you normally do on your computers? The one thing that makes me laugh at some people when choosing a computer is when they walk into Best Buy and point to the highest price tag in the store only to use their computer for checking Facebook... So let us know what's typical and what you'd like your computer to do.

10. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

We like to do some mild audio and video editing, stream hd movies and tv, play sims. I download a lot and convert a lot of video and audio files. Not for professional purposes but for entertainment. With the desktop we have my wife plays sims 3 while we stream the torrents weve downloaded from an external hdd onto our hdtv while downloading other items all at the same time without a studder.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

My 2.53ghz Core 2 Duo does more than that for me, quite comfortably.

Pick up an i5, 15" Hi-Res or 17", that's just my advice.

12. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

So the fonts will be smaller on the 15 than the 17? Do you think the i5 will run cooler than the i7? Do you think it will be more taxing on the 17 inch 2.53 i5 than the 2.53 15 inch i5 because the 17inch has 1900x1200 vs the lesser 1650 x1050?

Thanks for all your help MrCheeto

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You most likely won't notice any temperature difference. Again, heat only comes into play when doing intense stuff, which you likely wouldn't mind sacrificing comfort to place the MacBook Pro on a desk with a chill pad, not that you need the pad anyway.

You will have to decide if the hi-res is too much smaller than the regular display.

As you can see, the hi-res also allows you to view more on the screen at the same time. (Screen real-estate)
    [​IMG]

14. Spartan-117 macrumors newbie

Spartan-117

Hi there and welcome to Mac :)

I have a 15" high res glossy display and wouldn't have gone with anything else, if you want a screen that can take a little punishment and nice colours this is the one it has a glass layer on top unlike the matt options.

The High res display is really nice to use and I always recommend it as if you find the words too small then really you need glasses :p or you can just up the font sizes and icon sizes :)

As for temps depending on use my i5 2.5Ghz idles at 56C with vents partially blocked because its on a bed, ambient temp is 20C+. At peak with the discrete gfx on I have seen it hit 95C on a hard surface, so be prepared to see it go toasty if you plan on using it to the MAX in a warm environment. But there is little to worry about actually damaging the chip as they auto throttle as their maximum core temps and even if they do burn out there is always apple care ;)

Hope this helps :)

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Hey, my Core 2 Duo maxes out at 101ºc when dropping in the bit bucket. Seems the Core i's aren't much hotter than the Core 2 Duo's at all ;)

16. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

I'd like the i7 so hopefully they dont get much hotter than the i5. I've read some bad stuff about them but assume that is the case for anything on the internet. Apple is known for its quality and design.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, I live just a bit north from you and I happen to have both a 15" and a 17" MBP. From the screen real estate perspective I really like the bigger one. Though the 15" hi-res would also be a good option. But, if you're ok with the size of the 17" model, the screen is worth it.

Ask yourself how much processing power you really need. The i5 is a pretty powerful machine and it will run a little cooler (and longer on battery) compared to the i7 machine. If you still want to use Windows, you may want to consider an SSD. I have to run Win 7 in order to use the MS Office and MS Project (under VMware Fusion) and with plenty of RAM and an SSD, the performance is on par with running a native Win machine. And this is still on a C2D based machine.

18. mark28 macrumors 68000

The i5 runs extremely cool. I did a 2 hour video encoding, and the CPU was only 80 degrees :D ( the fans were running pretty loud though )

I have been hearing people getting CPU temperatures of 100 degrees with other MBP models. Also the i5 has better battery life too :)

I think the 15 inch MBP is a bit too small. When I look at it, I sometimes wonder whether or not I should have gone for the 17 inch MBP. If you prefer the 17 inch, then go for it. The 15 inch MBP is great to take on the road, that's for sure. The size is great for taking it everywhere. But I do wonder how things would be with the 17 inch MBP.

edit: If you go for the 15 inch MBP, you must get the hi-res Anti glare screen. The AG screen is so much better than the Glossy screen. And 1680 x 1050 is also much better than 1400 x 900 for this size.

19. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

In general, the only way to choose a display is based on personal preference. It's far too controversial to base your decision on others opinions.

As far as heat, Apple places a higher priority on style than functionality and heat issues have always been a problem. I've had every model of MacBook Pro Apple has released. My current 15" MBP Core i7 is a very nice laptop, but it does run substantially hotter than my cool running new ThinkPad. Working in both the PC and Mac environments over the years has provided me with an opportunity to compare these machines in real world use. The MBP at less than 1" thin simply doesn't offer enough room to deal with thermal management efficiently.

Pro series Thinkpads are T series models and at 1.3" thick that extra space, as well as properly vented cases, quiet fans, and a well engineered thermal management system allow them to run cool, quiet, and last for a very long time.

20. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

HEy i just purchased a 2010 15" mbp a few weeks ago and it is truely a specticle. I got the high res 15" though so i am running 1680x1050 and it si a pritsine picture with the glossy screen. As far as heat this computer runs 15-20 degress cooler then my 4 year old macbook for an up to date equivalant.

examples

07 13" 2.16 ghz c2d macbook 2010 i7 macbook pro
    diablo 2 - 191 f diablo 2 - 90 f, starcraft 2 177 f
    imovie - 180 f imovie - 120 f
    instal software 189 f 120 f

as you can tell the temps are drastically different, but when i fire up star craft 2 which is a brand new game with the graphics on high it does heat up, but that game is AMAZING, and when i get that hot and my fans are running at 6k rpms its is about 1/8 the noise level as my old macbook did when it was running 1 fan at 6k rpms. Do they run warm? most certainly. Do they run hotter then a pc laptop? no way they are much cooler. But you must also note that you will love the speed so much that you will do more with your mac. If you do not take many photos or video, when you get the mac and you see how amazing it can be to make your own movies and store and edit your photos you will use your computer for more extensive processing.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-C-Taylor/10150090452380377?v=app_2392950137

thats a link to some videos i have personally edited on imovie, and also some photos in there that i edited with iphoto

21. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I've fallen in love with my MacBook Pro all over again :p

Apple luv...

22. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

any thoughts. Looks like I can get for the same price a 17 inch i5 2.53 mbp 1900x1200, or a 15 inch i7 2.66 with 1680x1050. Both are $2299.00. Will the 2.53 be taxed more and run hotter having to fill up that large screen vs the i7? What is the best value between the two

23. foshizzle macrumors regular

if you're worried about the processor being taxed for driving the screen, don't be. The two are totally unrelated. there is a graphics card that handles the screen, not the CPU. the 2.5 i7 would be perfectly fine. I just got a 2.66 15" with the 1680x1050 screen and it's fantastic. If anything, the larger case on the 17" will dissipate the heat even better than the 15" so you'll be cooler.

Take the plunge.

24. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

The apple site has a refurbed i7 17 inch for $2119.00. Is the i7 15 inch hi-res HD? I know the 1900x1200 supports 1080p. So you have the i7. Tell me Eabout how awesome it is. Explain about the larger mac dissipating? Is the i7 in the 15 hot to you?

25. foshizzle macrumors regular

1080P resolution is 1920x1080. 720P is 1280x720. My screen is 1680x1050, not quite 'full HD' but looks wonderful nonetheless.

The i7 is a great processor, but no matter which one you get you'll be fine. the difference between 2.54GHz and 2.66 is almost nothing.

Heat *may* dissipate better on the 17", but that's purely speculation based on larger surface area and not on any scientific analysis.