Resolution increase with next iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateo200, Nov 1, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I have been thinking about the iPhones resolution for some time and I think an increase from 960x640 to 1280x854 wouldn't be all that unreasonable and I don't think it would cause much trouble with apps. I thought about it and did some research and there is a bunch of stuff out there to suggest the plausibity of a higher res screen but I wanted to open up the discussion. Before I do that though I ran some of my own tests. I took a screen shot of my lock screen in attachment "1". The first attachment is at 960x640 320~ native pixel density unscathed. The second one is what that same shot looks like stretched to 1280x854 and to my surprise it does NOT seam unreasonable in terms of artifacts or blurry effects. In fact I would venture and say the second one looks better than the first..the second one had to be compressed too so a minuscule amount of quality could have been lost exporting it from PNG to JPEG. What do you guys think though? Arguably higher resolution on such a small display is not needed but still.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      854.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      668.1 KB
      Views:
  2. brodas macrumors regular

Thats not happening unless they make the screen bigger 4-4.3

3. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

What’s the point? You can’t possibly see the pixels with the current display size. I would much rather want Apple focusing on other features.
    I can see how it would make sense if the iPhone screen was enlarged, but if Apple wanted to do that, they had probably done it by now.

4. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well that could be a point to bring up as well! I like the current pixel density and I think they should increase the screen size but increase the resolution as well. I dislike the iPads pixel density and resolution...going from the iPhone to the iPad I felt like the display was bloated.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

^^ This

Why increase it when it looks like everything is smooth lines and not pixels as is?

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

I believe if they go to 1280x854, app developers would once again have to recode their apps - and I think it's unlikely that Apple would expect that again.

Current display is 3.5", 960x640, 326 PPI I think. So if I did my math correctly, Apple could go to 3.85", still at 960x640, and be at around 300 PPI, which is still great to the naked eye while upping the screen size a tad. Larger screen, keep things at or above 300 pixels per inch, but also keep a sensible form factor size.

So that's my prediction :)

7. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm point taken on the 3.85" screen. I still think App developers wouldn't have to recode. What if certain apps had the option to utilize the higher resolution setting? Up the screen size to 3.85" @ 1280x854 and apps can remain at 960x640 but the iPod app, and any app that has the detail in it can go higher, then apple could do this with the new iPad and keep apps better in line between the two.

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

There is no 300PPI limit for discerning pixels. Thats a myth. Youre calculations are irrlelevent. 300PPI plus 12 inch viewing distance on a 3.5inch screen is the whole calculation.

The calc needs to include viewing distance and screen size. On a 4inch screen the viewing distance is 14-16inches, thus reducing the PPI limit to 260-280 for retina.

9. dotme macrumors 6502a

I don't understand. You're saying that if a phone has a bigger screen, I would hold it further away from my face?? Why would I do that? I must be missing something... why would a marginally larger screen cause the viewer to hold their phone another two inches away from their face?

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I agree with you 100%. There seems to be a notion that unless the display is resized exactly quadruple (2X resolution in each dimension), that existing apps can't be "scaled" properly. That's not really the case though - scaling something by 1.5X isn't perfect, but it's not a disaster. The little green pigs in Angry Birds will still look like little green pigs. The important thing is that the aspect ratio remain 3:2 like it is now.

The OS could be designed to automatically scale apps that don't explicitly support the higher resolution, just like it did for the iPhone 4 on older apps without high-resolution graphics.

Personally I'm not in favor of a change to the phone that will result in a significantly larger device, but if they made it say 1/4" wider and 1/2" shorter with a nearly edge-to-edge screen they could get a significantly bigger display without making the phone bulkier.

11. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I am not looking for a larger phone per say but a larger display which I guess could only mean a large phone given the small bezel of the iPhone...

take a look at the attachments below for a horizontal idea because thats really what matters... 3 is 960x640 and 4 is upscaled once again to 1280x854 (er 853 but generally resolution goes by 2's or at least even numbers). EDIT: Lastly direct your attention to attachment file "scale" which shows what the resolution increase would compare/scale to on my macbook pro's 13" monitor (1280x800).

Additionally I should note I have successfully upscaled 720p to 1080p in some of my short videos and gotten away with it but just for short shots to conform with an entirely 1080p video...upscaling isn't easy but with the right quality stuff it can be done but its only worth it if you feel it will enhance the viewing experience. In the the case of the iPhone 4 being bumped in screen size and resolution I think the viewing experience will be enhanced.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      701.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      862.1 KB
      Views:
    • scale.jpg
      scale.jpg
      File size:
      132.6 KB
      Views:
  12. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

The developers MAKE MONEY on apps - so asking them to size the resolution to adapt to a bigger screen is not a problem - Apple wouldn't even blink an eye. They care about the end users' experience. If they want to give us a bigger 3.7-4" screen then they do increase the resolution as necessary.

If developers complain I guarantee you someone else will take their place and make a similar app with the right resolution. It's their business so they know to expect to make changes to their apps.

13. nateo200, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Exactly. Its not like Apple is putting on some $2 indie concept here, I'm going to guess and say they have people kissing ass to develop apps...which is good because then we end up with good apps :D >:). That said I agree making apps with bigger resolutions or just upscaling is not an issue...its not like these developers don't have the computers to do it...if anything I would want to make an app in high res and downsample for quality not focus on making it as small as possible!

EDIT: Didn't the Facebook app developer quit because of the resolution change? I know there was a shift in "powers" with that and while the app has its issues not any more than the site and developers picked up right where he left off...

14. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

You are missing the point. Even if the developers were okay with it, there is no substantial advantage. You can’t possibly see the pixels on the current iPhone display with your bare eyes. Therefore it's pointless to focus on creating a screen with an even higher resolution.

I’m having a hard time understanding why people are so interested in even higher pixel density, when we have reached a point were pixels aren’t even visible.

As I mentioned before, it would be a meaningful upgrade if the iPhone screen size was increased, however it seems like Apple believes that phone displays shouldn’t be bigger than 3.5 inches. Perhaps this is why: http://goo.gl/Qp7LH

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

Whats the viewing distance on your 60 inch TV? Is it 12 inches? Or would you say that as the screen gets larger, you move back from it?

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I would say that phones are used at a particular distance, regardless of screen size. So are tvs. I didn't move my couch when I got a new tv.

17. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

A better anaolgy would be if you upgrade to a 72" TV from a 60" TV, do you move your couch backwards?

No, you don't.

18. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

I did...Sorry but I can't sit 1 inch from my 46" LED tv nor can I sit 12 feet from it...

With resolution, bigger is always better. I prefer to watch 1080p content vs 720p content but thats just me. That said I will say that most people including myself have a hard time telling the difference from 720 and 1080 on anything smaller than a 50" TV but believe me I will be the first one to complain about it :D maybe I'm just a tech freak but I like maximum quality resolution at all times. Also having both the iPad and iPhone at 1280x854 would just make compatibility easier and make sense...I could see that last a long time...I secretly wish Apple would change the iPads display to 16:9 or 16:10 but thats not going to happen for even more obvious reasons and a whole other story.

19. kre62 macrumors 68000

Actually, it would be a good idea to have more distance. If youre too close, it doesnt work. With TVs or Phones.

In any case i'll let Steve Jobs settle this. He claimed that the retina equation takes into acount screen size, PPI, and DISTANCE.

20. Metal Dice, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

It seems like you don’t get my point. With 720p and 1080p televisions, the pixels are still visible to the human eye. Their visibility depends on the distance between your eyes and the television. But all that matters is, they can be seen by the human eye.
    This is not the case with the retina display on the iPhone. The pixels on the retina display are not visible to the human eye, regardless of the distance. That is, if you were to rub your eyeball on the iPhone display, you still wouldn’t be able to see the individual pixels.

And so, increasing the pixel density with the current 3.5 inch display is pointless. And even if Apple for some odd reason chose to do this, you would not be able to see any improvement.