Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Roughly Drafted claims to have knowledge of some of the possible new features coming in Snow Leopard. Unfortunately, the article appears to include some degree of speculation making it difficult to tease out what might be actual features.

One of the more interesting possibilities includes the introduction of full Resolution Independence. The groundwork for this feature was included in Leopard, but full implementation was not expected until a later release. The author speculates that the dramatic size reductions in the application sizes could be, in part, due to resolution independence. Besides file-size reductions by eliminating large bitmaps, Apple's research into resolution independence opens the door to ultra-high resolution displays. This could pave the way for Apple's previously rumored high resolution Cinema displays.

The benefit of resolution independence would be the ability for the operating system to scale its user interface smoothly to accommodate higher resolution displays. At present, most displays are around 100 dots-per-inch (dpi), meaning 100 pixels for every inch of screen display. If Apple were to introduce an ultra-high resolution display, it could have a dpi of 200 or 300. The same image viewed on these higher resolution screens would appear 2x to 3x smaller. Simply scaling up bitmapped images to fit the display would result in blocky/jagged images. If instead, they are described as vectors, as Apple is proposing, larger displays could smoothly scale the user interface to the size of the display.

The article also suggests that 3rd party support for the multi-touch trackpads, expanded data detectors, auto activation of fonts, and ZFS support (which is listed in features for Snow Leopard Server) are also coming.

Article Link

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada

Roughly Drafted claims to have knowledge of some of the possible new features coming in Snow Leopard. Unfortunately, the article appears to include some degree of speculation making it difficult to tease out what might be actual features.

One of the more interesting possibilities includes the introduction of full Resolution Independence. The groundwork for this feature was included in Leopard, but full implementation was not expected until a later release. The author speculates that the dramatic size reductions in the application sizes could be, in part, due to resolution independence. Besides file-size reductions by eliminating large bitmaps, Apple's research into resolution independence opens the door to ultra-high resolution displays. This could pave the way for Apple's previously rumored high resolution Cinema displays.

The article also suggests that 3rd party support for the multi-touch trackpads, expanded data detectors, auto activation of fonts, and ZFS support (which is listed in features for Snow Leopard Server) are also coming.

Article Link

Bring it on!

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Resolution independence has been implemented into developer builds, and is even a feature of the developer tools in 10.5. It has to happen at some point. Sooner is better than later.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
The connection between resolution independence and new Cinema Displays seems pretty credible to me. And it's about time.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I've tried looking at some articles and wiki's about resolution independence but can someone explain in simple terms what it is and what are benefits/negatives of it? Hopefully with some examples of how it could be used because I think I know what it is but I'm not entirely sure I get why it's important or how it will be used.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
I've tried looking at some articles and wiki's about resolution independence but can someone explain in simple terms what it is and what are benefits/negatives of it? Hopefully with some examples of how it could be used because I think I know what it is but I'm not entirely sure I get why it's important or how it will be used.

i think this would help a lot of people (myself included)

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK

Very basically, applications are currently made up of bitmap images which means they contain pixels and are of a certain size. As the pixel density of displays increases these objects get smaller. Resolution independence effectively means that objects aren't defined in pixels and have the ability to increase or shrink in size without losing quality and without multiple versions of the file being necessary.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
"Sources also indicate Snow Leopard will expand upon Font Book to provide full Auto Activation of any fonts requested by any application, using Spotlight to track them down"

Font Auto Activation exists now in 10.5, but it is wonky for some.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I thought Leopard already has Resolution Independence? :confused:
Leopard should've had this feature standard. Apple is sure greedy for money. :rolleyes:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_independence

In short, compared to current 100 dpi Cinema displays, a 200 dpi display would have menubar only half as high as the menubar is defined in pixels not millimeters. This would make it very hard to read it and that is the reason why we don't have 200 dpi displays yet.

With resolution independence all these elements which are today defined in pixels will be defined in millimeters (or whatever unit you prefer).

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
um...the "groundwork" was included in Tiger, not Leopard.

It should have been completely implemented in Leopard.

It was originally supposed to be fully functional in Tiger.

A certain OS developer is looking more and more like a certain other OS developer as their complacency grows...I'll believe Apple is going to actually use resolution independence when i zoom in on my screen and everything doesn't go fuzzy and lame.

They could have turned this on for the 1st party and core services a long time ago. It could even have happened in a point update.

My parents can't use my laptop because the dpi is too high and the resolution is decidedly NOT independent.

Don't get me wrong, if it's finally included, I'll be happy. I'm just going to be really, really annoyed if I have to pay 129 dollars for 10.6 if all the "new features" are things like RI and ZFS and other stuff that we should have had with 10.5. I think Apple was planning on doing a lot more with 10.5 and they got behind because they didn't put enough resources into it, and instead of having all that Vista mud kicked back in their faces with 18 months or more of delays to leopard, they just cut back on the real core work and concentrated on the "features" for 10.5, holding off on the real meat and potatoes upgrades, rewrites and structural changes because they didn't have time to pull it off without looking stupid. I don't think Apple has been putting as much into their computer OS as they have been into their mobile OS.

We have been relegated to second citizen status. notice how much they will add to a point release (10.5.4) for their mobile users (all this mobileme stuff), but they can't be bothered to fix the problems between Leopard and CS3 that have been documented and isolated as apple problems for over 6 months.

I thought creative professionals were the backbone of Apple's business? Now it's ipods and iphones. sure, they'll make more money, but it's a very slippery slope they're on now...

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Don't get me wrong, if it's finally included, I'll be happy. I'm just going to be really, really annoyed if I have to pay 129 dollars for 10.6 if all the "new features" are things like RI and ZFS and other stuff that we should have had with 10.5. I think Apple was planning on doing a lot more with 10.5 and they got behind because they didn't put enough resources into it, and instead of having all that Vista mud kicked back in their faces with 18 months or more of delays to leopard, they just cut back on the real core work and concentrated on the "features" for 10.5, holding off on the real meat and potatoes upgrades, rewrites and structural changes because they didn't have time to pull it off without looking stupid. I don't think Apple has been putting as much into their computer OS as they have been into their mobile OS.

We have been relegated to second citizen status. notice how much they will add to a point release (10.5.4) for their mobile users (all this mobileme stuff), but they can't be bothered to fix the problems between Leopard and CS3 that have been documented and isolated as apple problems for over 6 months.

I thought creative professionals were the backbone of Apple's business? Now it's ipods and iphones. sure, they'll make more money, but it's a very slippery slope they're on now...

Like I always said and always will, blame it all on the iPhone.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Hello Folks: The codecs needed to scale vectorally on-screen have to be added to the Monitors, before they are turned on by the OS to synchronized with and ouput to screen(s).

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
So basically, all the stuff we thought we were gonna get with leopard (RI, ZFS etc) is now coming with WL? Yes, makes sense. It will leave everybody else in the dust...
But can I have mine with cream? and also where the frigging hell are the new MBP?.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Very basically, applications are currently made up of bitmap images which means they contain pixels and are of a certain size. As the pixel density of displays increases these objects get smaller. Resolution independence effectively means that objects aren't defined in pixels and have the ability to increase or shrink in size without losing quality and without multiple versions of the file being necessary.

You can simplify it further for those people who just want the bare facts.

Presently the OS GUI is represented as bitmap images.

Resolution Independence will vectorize the OS GUI.

Think as it this way presently the GUI is a Photoshop images, and what :apple: is trying to do is make it into an Illustrator image. This way it scale without losing clarity. ;) :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think res independence has much to do with app size. UI bitmaps are very small, and vector data can sometimes be quite complex. I'd expect a few KB difference here and there, not adding up to much.

I'd say bigger factors are probably reduction of unnecessary language resources, Xcode changes (compiling to smaller, more efficient executables), and/or the dropping of the PPC half of Universal Binaries. (Counteracted in part, maybe, by some apps having dual binaries for 32- and 64-bit CPUs.)

I'm just going to be really, really annoyed if I have to pay 129 dollars for 10.6 if all the "new features" are things like RI and ZFS and other stuff that we should have had with 10.5.

I don't know about the "should," since OS X is already so far of other OS's, and I certainly wouldn't "blame" the iPhone, which is the best thing to happen to grow the Mac computing platform in ages (look at all the Windows developers now loving Xcode). But the good news is you WILL NOT have to pay $129. No price has been stated, but whatever it costs, you won't be forced to buy it. If certain apps come to depend on it in late 2009 or 2010, you won't even be forced then: the Leopard versions of those apps will keep working.

I thought creative professionals were the backbone of Apple's business? Now it's ipods and iphones.

Where are your numbers on that? Macs remain the biggest segment for Apple--and iPods and iPhones are converging with Macs, not moving farther away. iPods even run OS X these days, as of course does the iPhone, resulting in new features being developed for Macs (Core Animation for one) and an ever-bigger "halo" of Mac sales.

But I would say it's CONSUMER Macs that are the biggest backbone. Not creative companies. But fear not, they remain an important market, and one look at Snow Leopard is all you need to be assured that Apple cares about performance in ways that will benefit pro creative apps more than anything else.

Change is scary--but don't fear the "new" iPod and iPhone. If anyone imagines an Apple with no iPod and iPhone, and believes the Mac computing platform would be better off in that case, then they are seeing only a tiny part of the picture.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
You can simplify it further for those people who just want the bare facts.

Presently the OS GUI is represent with bitmap images.

Resolution Independence will vectorize the OS GUI.

Think as it this way presently the GUI is Photoshop images, and what :apple: is trying to do is make it into a Illustrator image. This way it scale without losing clarity. ;) :)

I think that's a pretty good ...illustration :D

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
So basically, all the stuff we thought we were gonna get with leopard (RI, ZFS etc) is now coming with WL? Yes, makes sense. It will leave everybody else in the dust...
But can I have mine with cream? and also where the frigging hell are the new MBP?.

Considering it was either in Alpha testing on 10.5 dev and in Beta for 10.6 dev.

Unless :apple: thought we cannot meet out delayed deadline release for 10.5 and ship it without these features

or

:apple: thought to itself and said lets squeeze our loyal customers and entice them with this in 10.6 since we have nothing new so who would buy it unless...;):p

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I love that people bitch that they will HAVE to pay $129 for it, or that apple is greedy because they didnt put it in Leopard.

You know guys, they struggled to release leopard on time (after the first delay), they pulled several features out at the last minute because they didnt work right! You are not required to buy Leopard or Snow Leopard so you dont HAVE to pay $129. On top of that you dont know how much snow leopard is going to cost. it could be a $30 upgrade, or free for leopard users. You simply do not know!

The problem with rumors are that sometimes people believe them regardless of credibility. ZFS and Resolution Independence was NOT EVER promised by apple to be in Leopard.

Stop bitching and just wait to see what happens please! :)

rspeed

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
But what does it all mean, Basil?

Resolution independence is simply the ability to use displays with extremely high pixel density. This was already supported in Tiger and Leopard in a roundabout way, but the results aren't spectacular (I'll explain why).

The basic idea is to convert all graphical elements of the user interface into vector-based graphics formats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics). Icons, window chrome, buttons, fonts (which have been vector based since before OS X) and so on. When a high-dpi display is connected to the computer, everything on the screen can scale up, preventing it from becoming unusable.

Currently the graphical elements in most applications are stored in raster formats, which causes them to look rather lousy when scaled up. There are also performance issues associated with drawing vectors, but they're likely minor due to all of the work Apple has put into accelerating Quartz.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I don't think res independence has much to do with app size. UI bitmaps are very small, and vector data can sometimes be quite complex. I'd expect a few KB difference here and there, not adding up to much.

I'd say bigger factors are probably reduction of unnecessary language resources, Xcode changes (compiling to smaller, more efficient executables), and/or the dropping of the PPC half of Universal Binaries. (Counteracted in part, maybe, by some apps having dual binaries for 32- and 64-bit CPUs.)

I don't know about the "should," since OS X is already so far of other OS's, and I certainly wouldn't "blame" the iPhone, which is the best thing to happen to grow the Mac computing platform in ages (look at all the Windows developers now loving Xcode). But the good news is you WILL NOT have to pay $129. No price has been stated, but whatever it costs, you won't be forced to buy it. If certain apps come to depend on it in late 2009 or 2010, you won't even be forced then: the Leopard versions of those apps will keep working.

Where are your numbers on that? Macs remain the biggest segment for Apple--and iPods and iPhones are converging with Macs, not moving farther away. iPods even run OS X these days, as of course does the iPhone, resulting in new features being developed for Macs (Core Animation for one) and an ever-bigger "halo" of Mac sales.

But I would say it's CONSUMER Macs that are the biggest backbone. Not creative companies. But fear not, they remain an important market, and one look at Snow Leopard is all you need to be assured that Apple cares about performance in ways that will benefit pro creative apps more than anything else.

Correct. It has nothing to do with application sizes. Cocoa versions of those applications using/re-using shared cocoa frameworks by many applications will drastically move custom frameworks/libraries out of those applications and into the /Frameworks pathway.

Dictionary going from 10MB -> 2MB tells me they have moved out a system-wide database for words to make it useable across all applications that are written to the framework in Cocoa that have the calls to leverage the RDBMS.

Looks like EOF is being used more and more.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
SVG icons

I wonder if Apple is going to include (Application) SVG icons. Work has been done on these icons in the early days of Leopard, but it seems Apple later pulled this. SVG icons would allow unlimited scaling, but it is a processor intensive technique.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.