Resolution Independence

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NKA, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NKA macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm from the Windows world so please bare with me on this :). I am looking at buying a 17" MacBook Pro with a Hi-Res screen (1920x1200). I went to my local Apple store yesterday, and when I looked at the Leopard UI on the Hi-Res screens, everything in the UI looks far too small on the Hi-res screens.

Now in the windows world to combat this you can change the DPI settings from the default (96DPI) upto 200DPI. When this DPI setting is raised everything in the UI gets scaled, fonts, button sizes,glyphs, small icons, etc. For example setting the DPI by 150%(144DPI) makes the small icons in windows scale from 16x16 to 24x24 pixels. This makes using Hi-Res screens much easier on the eyes.

Can anyone tell me, if or how I can achive this in the Leopard OS. I did read an old post somewhere that said Leopard was going to be a resolution independent OS, but it appearantly got dropped from the final release, is this true? If true, is it likely to be added to the OS any time soon, otherwise I think I may be better buyng a low-res screen. Please, no Windows flamez!

Many Thanks
    Neal

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I was under the impression it was still in the OS but turned off as there are no apps that currently support the feature and the major ones will take time to build it in.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hmmm, I wasn't even aware of that, I thought it was in there still :eek:

Shows what I know. :rolleyes:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unfortunately Apple chose not to make the settings user-available in Leopard. I think there are still too many old apps that don't work properly with it to make it available.

I'd say the earliest you could not expect full support would be 10.6 which is some way off...