resolution issues with external display on macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RJP31484, Jan 11, 2011.

1. RJP31484 macrumors regular

I have an Acer 22" display (the x223w) that I have been using with my old powermac g4 for a few years and its been great. I recently got an Aluminum macbook and wanted to use the display with it at my desk. I got a cheap mini display-port to DVI adaptor from amazon and when I plug it in, the display looks a bit fuzzy! It is set to the same resolution as when it was hooked up to the powermac, but everything looks a bit bigger(doesn't this mean the resolution is lower?) and the text especially looks a little fuzzy. Is it the cheap adaptor? I have it set to 1680X1050 on both computers. I fee like I just want to adjust the sharpness, but the display doesnt have that option. Also, it seems weird since it looks fine with the powermac.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It is likely the cheap adapter you purchased. I recommend buying a genuine Apple one. If that does not solve the issue, return it.

3. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

I believe he is correct, however apple does not make an adapter. You should get a Griffin mini display to hdmi adapter. It is the one I use, and is amazing.

Make sure you have the correct audio settings to transmit audio and video from the single cable. Personally I used the 1080p setting once connected to the computer, if you were looking for suggestions.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

He is looking for a MDP to DVI adapter, which apple does make. The rest of your comment is only for HDMI, so OP will not be able to use that.

5. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

I misread the tv specs, a lust is correct. Audio will have to come from the 1/8" headphone jack. My bad!

6. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I am trying to use a dvi connection. it is for an lcd monitor, not a TV. That is a good suggestion to try buying the genuine one and return it if it looks the same. I'll try this as soon as I can get downtown through the snow. thanks!

7. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

So.... I bought the official apple brand adapter and it looks exactly the same! I don't get it... Shouldn't the display look as good as when its hooked up to my powermac? or the display on my macbook? The same resolution settings on both the computers look totally different. Does the mini display port only put out a certain resolution regardless of what the software settings are?

8. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

just discovered this info from a review of the adaptor on the apple site:

Resolution options peak at 1200x800 with mirrored option and 1680x1050 without mirrored option. Pulldowns do not show anything greater than that at each setting.

what gives?!