Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
With the MacBook Air going to 1440x900 as opposed to the MBP running at 1280x800. Is anyone concerned about the higher resolution?

The odds are probably extremely high that with the next refresh apple will be using 1440x900 for the 13" MBP. I'm in the process of comparing both models but a higher resolution at the same screen size will increase the likelihood of eye strain.

Now before someone recommends increasing the font size, OSX does not employ resolution independence and any increase affects the quality of the displayed text/image.

This is one of my factors I'm considering while I determine whether I buy a laptop now, or wait. I love the form factor of the MBA, but for less money, I get more computer in the 13" MBP. I have two trips planned, one at the end of the year another in the spring of 11. I can get away without a laptop for the first trip, but not so for the second. My usual advice is wait until you need to buy.

As I wait and mull over which model best fits my needs, I'm curious to hear what others have to say about the higher resolution.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
As great as the MacBook Air computers are, I don't see the thinness as a major draw. The MacBook Pro is already a very thin notebook and only the 17 inch seems to be something that I would be start to be concerned about the weight and size for portability.

That is just me. I don't think my current notebook is heavy at all (A Dell which weighs a bit more than a 15" MBP)

The battery life and silent operation (and the High Res screen you mentioned) of the MacBook Air would be things that make me consider getting it, plus it does look fantastic (but so does the MBP!)

macbookpro13

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
I think the 13" MBP with a SSD is a better machine than the 13" MBA. And like you said, it is almost 100% that the next refresh will have the higher res display. Not to mention, the MBP has richer color reproduction compared to the MBA and MB.

It really comes down to the form factor. The MBA will feel MUCH lighter and you will probably not even notice carrying it around. I can certainly feel the weight of my 13" MBP, even if it is significantly lighter and more compact than my previous laptop.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The wider gamut on the current crop of MBPs is definitely a plus. Another concern is that apple will use the same display panel on the refreshed MBP in 2011 as its using in the MBAs and thus I'll lose that wider gamut

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
The wider gamut on the current crop of MBPs is definitely a plus. Another concern is that apple will use the same display panel on the refreshed MBP in 2011 as its using in the MBAs and thus I'll lose that wider gamut

The whole reason apple kept C2D in the 13" MBP was to keep performance at or above the same level of the outgoing model.

In terms of the screen, I doubt apple would reduce the colour gamut as that would be a downgrade on the current model. I think it have the same colour gamut but at a higher resolution.

Take the 15 and 17" models, they have different resolutions but all MBP have the same colour gamut.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The whole reason apple kept C2D in the 13" MBP was to keep performance at or above the same level of the outgoing model.

Actually they kept the C2D is due to the lack for licensing between nvidia and intel. There's not enough room, to put a discreet GPU and a nvidia integrated GPU cannot be used on a core i5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.