Resolution not to be increased until Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rishi13, Oct 18, 2008.

1. rishi13 macrumors member

Do you think it's safe to say, that the entire Macbook line (Air, Pro, and standard), will not see an increase in screen resolution until Blu-ray is introduced?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no assurance that Blu-ray will be introduced to the Apple line at all. I don't think the two are related. Has anyone seen verifiable information otherwise?

3. rishi13 thread starter macrumors member

My thinking was that if higher resolution screens were introduced (1440x900 in the 13", 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 in the 15"), movies could be viewed at a higher quality. Apple will have to eventually put Blu-ray in their notebooks, even if it doesn't happen in the next couple years.

4. Shownarou macrumors regular

I honestly don't think Steve has any plans to put Blue-Ray into the notebook line. I can't say for sure that it won't ever be possible with the MacPro; but I really just don't see it happening in Macbook's/Macbook Pro's.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think we'll see a new media before blu-ray is introduced into mac notebooks

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

These things have nothing to do with each other. Apple already sells a 17" MBP with a 1920 by 1200 screen. When this gets updated to unibody, I don't expect it will be at 1440 by 900.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think it's possible Apple could be trying to move away from optical drives altogether, like the MacBook Air. With broadband speeds so prevalent, downloading large files doesn't take as long. So you can download programs, rather than distribute them on a DVD. Also, I'm sure Apple would prefer you buy and download movies from the iTunes Store, rather than by the physical media from Amazon or somewhere else. I could see them making much larger or dual hard drives and eliminating the optical drive.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The bandwidth isn't there for the great majority of people if you want Blu-Ray quality movies.

You cannot buy HD movies from iTS.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not yet. I'm talking about the future.
    Not yet. I'm talking about the future. :)

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well "The Future" is nice and all, but in "The Present" I have about 25 Blu-ray Disc movies. Also, please notice that it was just this year that Apple overtook Wal-Mart in *MUSIC* sales.

You people with this "we will download everything!" pipe dream have no concept of reality...in the present. To date, I have bought *one* movie from iTunes, and it was some independent film that I had never seen before. I wait for DVDs to go on sale to $10 or less or I buy the really good stuff (hurry up, Dark Knight) on Blu-ray.

I'm not spending $15 on a new release movie when I can only play it on my computer, iPhone, and AppleTV. Every relative and friend of mine has a DVD player, so I can take any DVD movie with me. I can also rip those DVDs using HandBrake to keep on my iPod.

If Apple will get off its lazy butt and join the Blu-ray party, I could either take my MBP with me to other locations or rip the video to my computer. Steve Jobs whined about the licensing costs while I can get a Dell laptop with Blu-ray for $1200. I have seen some notebooks with Blu-ray for under $1,000. He's going to tell me that they can't do it and then pass it on to the people who are already shelling out $2,000?

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, I forgot, you can see into the future. :rolleyes:

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This entire thread is based on speculating what Apple might do IN THE FUTURE, since IN THE PRESENT, Apple does not offer Blu-ray. It's not about being able to "see into the future", it's about speculating what might happen in future releases. Sheesh! I'm sure there are some remedial reading courses you can get online... if it's not too much bandwidth! :rolleyes:

13. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

you really cant blame apple for not diving into blu ray just yet... i mean, it isnt even a final spec and blu ray sales have not been as great as expected since the death of hd dvd

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just to point out usually the 1440x900 13", 1920x1200 15" panels are not TN, but rather S-IPS or MVA panels, so their costs are a lot higher for Apple.

15. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Blu-Ray support?

What happened to the reports of OS X 10.5.6 supporting Blu-Ray?
    What version do the new MBPs run?

To me it almost seems as if Apple wanted to release a Blu-Ray enabled 17" MBP but that didn't happen for other reasons.

Perhaps we get lucky at MacWorld 2009, even though that's a consumer oriented event, not so suited for a MBP.
    Alternatively when they release new Mac Pros they might include Blu-Ray support, and also introduce a 17" MBP with a Blu-Ray option.

16. mtfield macrumors 6502

This blu-ray debate has gotten a little ridiculous... It is going to be implemented at sometime... Even if apple doesn't want to put it in their machines for video watching they need to put it in so pros, semi pros, and consumers alike can burn blu rays for distribution... There is no way for apple to get around that. If "Timmy" is making a dvd for his school project and shoots it on his mom and dads hd camera within the next 2-3 years he is going to want to be able to burn it to a disk to take it in to show the class... that's just the way things are... they'll be in there eventually.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't even know if Blu-ray will ever have a "final" spec. I think they're too interested in re-inventing it every 2 months. But from what I gather, a computer-based BD drive could be updated just like the PS3 can. I'm guessing the older BD players can't update to BD Live for hardware reasons (hardware left out).

Alas, that's half the reason BD sales haven't taken off. The other is the hardware and software is still too expensive for mass penetration. Thankfully, the base price of most manufacturers' players is now about $300 instead of $400. When they can pop that down into the $200 range, people should start to jump aboard. Then if we can get the disc retailers to sell the movies at $25 for new releases instead of $30, that should make an even bigger difference. I don't blame people for not spending $30/movie. I only did it on The Simpsons Movie (and Lost Season 3). Most stuff I wait to find on sale at $20 or less.

18. cg165 macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree with you on this one. Just like when DVD's came out, I had a reader in the computer, then they came out with faster writers so I got an external one...then they came out with faster ones! That was annoying, but the speed finally stopped at one point and has stayed the same for years (I think at least?). I would rather blu-ray's burn speeds/read speeds plus the actual final spec be finished first.

I will admit it would have been nice to have it though, to at least play them :rolleyes: I think what I'll do is wait for prices to drop and wait for a nice slim external one and hopefully plug it into my time capsule to watch over the air (if possible) or just hook it up to firewire 800.