Resolution of display: hardware or software dependent?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dizzler, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Dizzler macrumors regular

This is a newby question. I don't know much about displays.

I have one of the original Apple Cinema Displays-20" ADC with the plastic housing. I bought it when the highest resolution for displays was 1024 x 768. It was a great screen and I hate to get rid of it so am thinking of using it with a new MBP as an external display. If I do, what sort of resolution will I get on it? Is the resolution determined by the display itself or by the software in the computer?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The maximum native resolution is depending on the hardware and the transistor density of the display, which determines the maximum resolution.

Also the hardware in the MBP determines the maximum external resolution it can handle, but all current Macs can handle a 30" display.

If the display has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 then that is also the maximum resolution.

3. Dizzler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I think that old Cinema Display has a native resolution of 1024 x 768. So I guess that would be the highest resolution I would see even if the computer it is connected to can support a higher res?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Dizzler thread starter macrumors regular

Wow! Thanks for the links. You just made my day! It's a higher res than I thought.

6. Dizzler thread starter macrumors regular

Followup

So I got the Apple ADC-DVI adapter and it works great with this monitor and with my little old 12" PowerBook G4. Native res is 1680 x 1050. Pretty darn good. This is great because it will give me time to wait for the next rev of the MBP.