resolution of light leak issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by biscuitdunker, Apr 3, 2011.

1. biscuitdunker macrumors newbie

hello all, having bought and returned 3 ipad 2s since launch for light leaking issues, has anyone had any feedback from apple store employees about an acknowledgement of the issue and a resolution or fix any time soon, is this an issue large enough for the powers that be at cupertino to fix the problem? In my recent genius bar experiences with returning ipad2 the staff i dealt with were completely bemused by the issue:confused: So will a fix ever be implemented.:D:apple:

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

A fix? Besides replacement, what fix could there be?

3. biscuitdunker thread starter macrumors newbie

a general manufacturing fix that would allow customers to purchase an ipad 2 that didnt bleed around the edges other than waiting for ipad 3

4. hoofbite macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope so. I think the best option is if it could be a simple fix. Maybe placing a new gasket between the screen and glass would be it. Otherwise Apple would have to replace all iPad 2s. I don't think is willing to replace ALL iPad 2s w/ new ones. They'd rather repair them. I have no problem sending my iPad to apple for a few days if that is what ends up happening.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple does nothing about this, since their silence so far has been a negative sign to customers.

5. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Some have posted in the long "Backlight Bleeding" thread that some Apple store employees and the phone service reps with Apple care have said that they're aware of the problem and are hoping to fix it. And that they're not recommending exchanging it now as all units probably have the problem and suggest waiting a few months for the manufacturing problem to be fixed.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm sure Apple is trying to fix the issue and it will probably be fixed as production happens, until then if you are unhappy with it you should return it.

7. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

A fix would mean it's not only OCD types find this issued annoying and not acceptable.

8. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Look up 'edge lit' LCD panels and you'll have your answer. If you cannot accept the technology, then go buy a Xoom or something that uses the same tech. At least it will make you 'think' that you've moved on to something new. And honestly, that might be all that it takes.

9. DiScO197 macrumors regular

From the Apple website:

9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology

I don't see where side(edge)-lit comes into it :rolleyes:

I have had, and returned a few side-lit LCD LED tv's with very similar effects. So either we are being mislead by Apple, or the the backlighting is poor.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The fault is nothing to do with the Edge Lit Panel technology

All panels have very slight brightness graduations when viewed in the dark, we are not talking about that. which every panel has.
    We are talking about bright spots caused by pressure points that have been applied to the LCD iPad2's screen due to it's design and construction methods/materials.

11. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It is 100% for sure edge lit. Look up some of the tear down videos/articles out there where tech sites have taken it apart.

There's not really a way to do back lighting with a device this thin when you factor in the big batteries needed to hit 10 hours of battery life.

I don't think Apple is intending to be misleading by saying "backlit". That's just the common terminology people use for any kind of lit screen (back-lit, edge-lit etc.) when comparing them to things like e-ink devices that have no lighting of any kind etc.

12. bobobenobi macrumors regular

That was my fix to the problem. Mine is currently on its way back to Apple for a refund.

13. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Backlight bleeding was a widespread issue on the original iPad, it's a widespread issue with the iPad 2. I'm not sure why people assume it's going to be fixed...

14. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

my ipad 1 has standard light around the edges, but NOTHING like the huge blotch my ipad 2 has in the corner. Definitely a difference.

15. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Minor issue

Seems like such a minor issue to me, I wonder how many out there are living with this, a lot of people probably don't even know they have this problem....

16. DiScO197 macrumors regular

SO, it is misleading then!! Back lit and edge lit are two entirely different things. People comparing to the original iPad are right. I have both and my 1st gen is perfect compared to the 2nd gen I have right now. For sure it's got to do with the construction and getting it that thin but the fact remains Apple are touting it as back lit. I will of course only listen to answers from people who do, or have owned both. That's where the difference lies.

17. JM2-uk macrumors member

Not true. The ipad 2 issues are far more significant than v1. I didn't see any problem on 100s and 100s of ipad 1s.