Resolution or Real Estate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Nov 5, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Disregard price, power and portability, if you were a graphic designer and forced to use one screen (and one screen only) would you choose do your work on a 15.4" Retina MacBook Pro or a 21.5" iMac? Essentially what I'm asking is would you prefer the detail and sharpness of the Retina screen or the size of the iMac? I know you could have your cake and eat it too by hooking up a MacBook to a 21.5" IPS but that's not what I'm asking here.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Pjrufus, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

Pjrufus macrumors 6502

I can't answer without considering portability. For me, I would/did go with the MBP because I like options. Because I can, I take my MBP to clients on occasion. You can always add a large display later. if you think you will never need or want to take your work with you, choose the iMac. I used my MBP for nearly a year before adding my Thunderbolt, and I still have the option to go portable if I want to.

Only you can say what is most important to you and how you work. Even with the lovely Retina screen, I work in Photoshop a lot, and to be efficient, a lot of screen is taken up by the program windows I like to keep open, not much room left for the piece I'm working on. I would choose the largest screen possible with the best resolution I could afford.

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I've got a 21.5" display attached to my 15" retina MBP and I edit pictures on the 15" screen if that can answer your question.

But then again, your question is oddly asked, getting some more information would help.

4. leman macrumors 604

You seem to be confusing about what these terms mean in the first place. The MacBook Pro has both a higher resolution and a larger real screen estate than the 21" iMac. I think you wanted to ask about the display size.

5. AppleGoat, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Yes -- I did deliberately go about posing the question in a roundabout way. I'm just looking for any reason to stick with the setup I have now, which is a 13.3" Eary-2011 MacBook Pro and a 21.5" IPS. Anyone who can recall one of my posts knows that I have been salivating over a 15-inch Retina MacBook for quite some time now. I wanted one when they were announced back in 2012 but over the past year I've been on the verge of pulling the trigger a few times -- always pulling back. I'm eyeing the $1699 refurb configuration, the current 15" base model, but can neither commit to upgrading from a perfectly fine machine nor curb my desire to upgrade to a finer machine. Thus the insanity.