Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueSkyGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Rocky Mountains, USA
Hello,

I've tried to find a thread that addresses this, but could not.

I am new to Macs. I have a late '05 PowerBook G4 15" that was given to me at a new job. They bought me a brand new Dell E248WFP 24" external monitor which arrived today. (I too, suffer the same problem that others have when I shut my lid, but that's another story). Anyway, I have my PB G4 set to it's native screen resolution of 1440 x 960, and the screen image covers all the screen. Fine. The Dell's native resolution is 1920 x 1200. When I select that resolution for the Dell external display in System Preferences, the image on the Dell external display reduces in physical size (not resolution) so much that it leaves at least 3" of black unused "screen" on the left and right sides, and 2" on the top and bottom sides, effectively making my new 24" monitor a 17" or 18" monitor:(. Do you understand? But if I set the Dell to be at a lower resolution, say 1024 x 768 (in pixels), the image's physical size on the screen gets larger, albeit fuzzier with larger fonts & icons, etc. What's the deal? I want the 1920 x 1200 pixels to take up the ENTIRE screen, not a small subset of it. Thank you.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
This might not help you at all but I have read another thread with the same problem as you, indicating it might be a Leopard bug.

Have you tried using the Dell as the primary screen (clamshelling your powerbook that is) and selecting the correct resolution?

Try booting up without the PowerBook connected, and then plug in the display. Sometimes Leopard won't recognize the correct display type and simply use the wrong drivers for it, resulting in a lower resolution.

You might want to post in the MBP/Powerbook forum next time.

xkRoWx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Canada
I don't think PowerBook supports 1920x1200 resolution. My MacBook Pro went up to 1440x900 and that was the max.

BlueSkyGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Rocky Mountains, USA
Problem Fixed

Hello,

Thanks to the two responders. Good news-- the fix suggested by Jiddick ExRex did the trick. So, to summarize, I enabled my Bluetooth mouse to wake my computer, shut the lid to my PowerBook G4, got worried because the Dell monitor immediately went into sleep/powersave mode, but waited about 15 seconds and wiggled the mouse, and voila! The Dell came up with a beautiful picture from corner to corner, and in the correct resolution. In this configuration, the PowerBook thinks the Dell is the only display, and will happily give it 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution (and yes, the PB G4 DOES support 1920 x 1200 resolution). I guess you call this "clamshell" mode, as opposed to "mirror" mode, which is what I was doing when I left the lid of the PB open. Anyway, thanks all. Take care.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.