Resolution problems MBP13 (late 2009) + Dell U2711

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mothnode, Feb 5, 2011.

1. mothnode macrumors newbie

Hi all, been using MacRumours for quite a while to look up important information so first of all would like to thank all the members for such a repository.

Anyway, to the point: I recently acquired Dell 2711 and I'm trying to connect it to my MacBook Pro 13" via DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort. First thing that appeared on the screen were pixelated, pulsating (frequency-like) vertical color distortions and examples of screen repeating itself in horizontal somehow.

Out of the box using DP to Mini DP I can achieve 1600 x 1200 as a maximum.
    Here is the listing and screen behaviour:

1600 x 1200 - screen has vertical color distortions, vertical black stripes dividing them. Stable graphic, nothing is moving.

1600 x 900 - screen has vertical color distortions, vertical stripes dividing them but the edges of the vertical stripes are distorted and flickering with horizontal lines. Lots of 'movement' and colour chaos in some areas of the screen.

1280 x 1024 - perfectly normal screen, nothing wrong, works perfectly but that's not the desired resolution of course.

1280 x 960 - same as 1600 x 900, vertical black stripes, movement, colour chaos.

Anything below that works ok.

I tried it in all different modes: mirror mode, single external screen (lid closed), side by side all of them create the same effect.

The question is what could be at fault here: the DP cable has a flaw/wrong cable? the monitor is simply broken (least possible since it actually displays various resolutions properly)?

I will provide pictures of the screen if required.

Best to you all,

Tim

2. mothnode thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea what happened but I clicked randomly again Detect Displays and it started giving me an option for full resolution. Delay in adjusting to the system? Well, I'm happy it works now.