Resolution switching on PS3 when a game is loading a game.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Esulatell, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Esulatell macrumors member

My PS3 is connected to a 720p HDTV and is outputting at 720p, however, whenever I load up a game it takes atleast 30 seconds for the picture to appear. While i'm waiting a box is popping up in the bottom left corner of my TV and is rapidly switching between HDMI and DVI.

What is it doing, why is it doing it, and how do I stop it?

Thanks MR :)

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed my dodgy grammar in the title.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like your TV or PS3 is getting their signal crossed. Have tried connecting your tv to a DVD player and test it to see if you get the same outcome.

The simple thing usually is the correct one so make sure your HDMI connection is solid between the PS3 and TV.

Bless

3. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

My PS3 is the only HD source being outputted to the TV though, it doesn't happen with SD DVD players or set-top boxes.
    It does only ever happen when I load up a game or quit a game. So its switching from the XMB to a game and vice versa.
    Does the XMB run in a different resolution? That would seem logical.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The XMB is resolution independent (hence it can be 1080p 1080i or 720p) whereas the games default to their specified default (which isn't always what is on the back of the case - hence 1080p scaled will default often to 720p unless 720p is 'de-selected' in display settings).

So yes it's quite possible that its the resolution changing between XMB and the game loading and the TV is getting a bit confused with the switch.

However once a game is loaded, the in-game accessible XMB should be the same resolution of the game. Unless you quit the game and then it defaults back to the highest output it can get meaning you may see your screen change again.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

6. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

The maximum my screen can output is 1080i but I never use it, is it possible the XMB is running in 1080i and when I load up a game it switches to 720p?

And no, its not a Samsung, its a Technosonic. (I know, I haven't heard of them either :p)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ yes that is probably what's happening. To stop it you can simply fo to display, choose hdmi and instead of automatic detection choose custom. Simply untick 1080i and continue. You should now have xmb and games in 720p and it should stop it changing resolution on you.

8. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

Ahh but see, i've done that, 576i is checked (by default, you can't uncheck it) and so is 720p, 1080i and 1080p are both unchecked, and it still happens.

9. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I think the settings may only apply to games...? Or maybe there are separate settings? Not sure, but for some reason I thought I unchecked 1080i on mine as well (since the few games that do support it were said to look worse on it than on 720p), but my XMB is still in 1080i.

I will have to double-check though when I get home - maybe I turned it back on for bluray watching and such...

What I do know though: My XMB is in 1080i, and my games run in 720p. It switches resolutions when I start or quit a game. But I am pretty sure it DOESN'T switch resolutions when I access the XMB from in-game, but just stays at 720p there. ....I think.

10. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

So when you're on the main XMB and you load up a disc, does it take a while for the picture to appear? As opposed to other sources plugged into your TV.