Resolution trouble please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmp99, Mar 13, 2013.

1. cmp99 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

My Intel Macbook Core 2 Duo screen has gone black on the right hand side. The rest of the screen is split into 4, not equally but I can see them. The screen also flickers so fast I can hardly use it and after every restart I have to turn up the brightness because it's at it's lowest setting. Anyway when I connect it to the TV the screen on my Macbook stops flickering. When I go into display my native 1280 x 800 resolution is not on the list and the resolution is set to 800 x 800! When I set it to a higher setting than native it fills the whole Macbook screen but icons etc are off the edge so I want the native resolution if possible. When I disconnect it from the TV the screen reverts back to flickering with the black area. I've reset NPRAM and SMC and wiped hard drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard all to no avail. It seems like a software thing though, anyone come across this before? Is it a firmware thing? :confused:

btw I'm a bit of a newbie :)

Thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Run Apple Hardware Test, hold D at startup and follow instructions, see if you get any errors.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

I think your GPU is crapping out.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You've done the SMC re-set and a clean install...I'm afraid it's looking like your GPU has had it.

4. cmp99 thread starter macrumors newbie