Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I'm a previous owner of the 27" iMac.
I loved the machine, except for one annoying problem, the resolution.
On the iPhone and the iPad, when Apple improved the resolution drastically, the "physical" size of the different objects no the screen remained exactly the same as before. Nothing has changed, even inside applications, you see everything exactly in the same size, just sharper and smoother.
On the mac, however, it's different. When the resolution is higher, everything becomes smaller. Microsoft tried to solve the problem, semi-successfully, with the dpi settings. The Mac doesn't even have that option.
You have to try and change settings inside applications in order to view text comfortably, and even that didn't work all the time.
Why is that? Why can't they do whatever trick they do in iOS, with OSX?

Is there any way to bypass that problem?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm a previous owner of the 27" iMac.
I loved the machine, except for one annoying problem, the resolution.
On the iPhone and the iPad, when Apple improved the resolution drastically, the "physical" size of the different objects no the screen remained exactly the same as before. Nothing has changed, even inside applications, you see everything exactly in the same size, just sharper and smoother.
On the mac, however, it's different. When the resolution is higher, everything becomes smaller. Microsoft tried to solve the problem, semi-successfully, with the dpi settings. The Mac doesn't even have that option.
You have to try and change settings inside applications in order to view text comfortably, and even that didn't work all the time.
Why is that? Why can't they do whatever trick they do in iOS, with OSX?

Is there any way to bypass that problem?

Its not a problem, its just something that doesn't exist yet.

Changing graphics of icons is much much more involved than most people realize, it needs done at the operating system level. Mountain Lion has shown indications of support for higher resolution icons for higher resolution screens so you will most likely need to wait until Mountain Lion for this to happen.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Retina level screens for iMac would probably be costly.... these are 21.5 and 27 inch screens.... NOT 3.5 and 9.7!

Probably no retina until 2013 at earliest for iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.