Resolved - 2011 MBA - Is this present on your MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by minnus, Dec 28, 2011.

1. minnus, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

minnus macrumors 6502

Can someone with a 2011 MBA take a look at the hinge right above F1 and ESC and see if you can see a wire please? I just want to make sure that it is suppose to be exposed. The wire is causing a slight 'bump' in my case. Since the screen was recently reinstalled by Apple, I just want to make sure everything is kosher.

Thanks!

-- Apple Genius Tech commented that my new MBA should not be undergoing so many repairs, and volunteered to replace the MBA.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I don't see it on my 2011 13" model. Why was the screen replaced? Your fault or Apple's? Did you pay for the new screen or did you get a "discount"? The only reason I ask, is if it was Apple's Fault or you paid full price to get it repaired due to your own fault, then I would take it in and show them the issue. IF you did the damage, and you were lucky enough to get it repaired for free, I would live with it and just be thankful that is your only annoyance.

3. Kendo macrumors 68000

On my MBA right now and I don't see any wire. It is all black just like the rest of the hinge.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

5. Trav29 macrumors member

6. macdudesir macrumors 6502

7. minnus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the prompt response guys. The wire is blocking the vent directly responsible for the CPU - and I am afraid of potential overheating issues in the near future because of it. I will likely take it back to Apple soon.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Regardless of what the reason was for the replacement they are still responsible to make sure it was installed correctly once they decided to do it. Definitely take it back.

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

10. minnus, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

minnus thread starter macrumors 6502

Just returned from the Apple store. It was explained to me that for some reason, the exposed cable is too short (why there are varying length cables is completely beyond me). Their only solution is to replace the screen.

It was explained to me that the wire is 'tucked' in. It should have been painfully obvious to whoever installed it that it didn't tuck in completely. I wish they had been honest to begin :(

Oh well, thanks guys!

11. minnus thread starter macrumors 6502

ARRRGGHHH - I swear Apple is ***** with me at this point.

One problem after another -_-

Attached Files: