Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
Just started experiencing the frequent prompt to re-sign into Netflix account on a AppleTV 3. At first, only after waking from Apple TV from sleep. (I used to have the request only once a month or so.) It seems now the behavior is when exiting Netflix app to main menu and then will prompt again on entering Netflix app.

Steps I have tried:

Restore Apple TV3 software. Reset AppleTV settings etc.
Logging in and out of iTunes account-Apple ID.

Contacted Netflix, but they say to contact Apple about disabling 2 factor authentication. (2 factor authentication works fine on my AppleTV 3. I was able to access my purchased movies etc. )
I don't share my Netflix account and was thinking Netflix is doing some crazy stuff on their end because of frowned upon sharing of Netflix membership.

It seems to only affect the Netflix app and not Amazon, YouTube apps etc. So strange.

Anyone else? (Putting my conspiracy hat on, I wonder if it is somehow related to Apple's preparation for their streaming service.)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Just started experiencing the frequent prompt to re-sign into Netflix account on a AppleTV 3. At first, only after waking from Apple TV from sleep. (I used to have the request only once a month or so.) It seems now the behavior is when exiting Netflix app to main menu and then will prompt again on entering Netflix app.

Steps I have tried:

Restore Apple TV3 software. Reset AppleTV settings etc.
Logging in and out of iTunes account-Apple ID.

Contacted Netflix, but they say to contact Apple about disabling 2 factor authentication. (2 factor authentication works fine on my AppleTV 3. I was able to access my purchased movies etc. )
I don't share my Netflix account and was thinking Netflix is doing some crazy stuff on their end because of frowned upon sharing of Netflix membership.

It seems to only affect the Netflix app and not Amazon, YouTube apps etc. So strange.

Anyone else?

I haven’t had issues on my ATV2 or 3 with sign outs from Netflix.

Actually, I have only seen this on tvOS at times in the past.

I have some stuff to try, I am not sure if it will work, but it should hurt to try.

Restart all your network equipment, router, modem, etc.

Change your Netflix PW. If it starts working okay, and you want your old PW, change it back.

If you know someone else that you can use their Netflix account, log in with theirs to see if the same issue happens.
[doublepost=1552569452][/doublepost]Also, do you pay for Netflix via iTunes?

Chung123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
Just tried changing password. Same issue with exiting the Netflix app and then back. Everything else works so this is weird. Maybe give it a day or two—sometimes these temporary quirks clear itself. Oh, Netflix bills me directly.
Update: 3/14. Issue exists only with Netflix app on AppleTV3, as soon as I exit to menu and return to app, sign in is prompted. Have restarted router. Strange.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.