Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayapon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
千葉県
My iphone 12 Pro can't measure my height in the measurement app.
This is a function for automatic measurement using LiDAR.
It just gives me alternating instructions to "Move farther away" and "Move closer".
Same thing indoors and outdoors.
Does anyone have a clear solution?

iPhone 12 Pro 128GB Model
iOS : 14.1 (factory install)

My friend who had the same symptoms did the following under the direction of apple support, but the symptoms didn't change.

1, Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings
2, iOS upgrade 14.1 to 14.2

My friend ended up replacing it with an iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Unfortunately, he's experiencing the same symptoms with his iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I want to solve this symptom quickly and measure my child's height.
Please help me!!

Last edited:

cwagz78

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
I’m not going to do that. My phone upgraded to 14.2 right after I turned it on and before the transfer. I was assuming it was a software bug that will be fixed with a new update. Otherwise I guess I will be swapping it.

Reactions: hayapon

JimMMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
As I posted in another thread, my wife's 12 Pro Max is having the same issue. She's on 14.2. My 12 Pro worked fine on 14.1 and still works like it should on 14.2. I emailed Apple support and was told to contact the app developer. Don't see that as a good solution.

hayapon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
千葉県
I’m not going to do that. My phone upgraded to 14.2 right after I turned it on and before the transfer. I was assuming it was a software bug that will be fixed with a new update. Otherwise I guess I will be swapping it.
As I posted, there remains the possibility that you will receive a product with the same symptoms after the replacement.

robkat

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Scotland
I have spoken to Apple support and they are not sure what is causing the problem.
They have suggested resetting the phone to factory settings and seeing if that solves the problem.

alessio94x

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
I had exactly the same issue with iPhone 12 Pro; I was coming from an iPhone X, backup restored with iTunes on the new 12 Pro. The problem was that backup... I restored the 12 Pro in DFU mode, downloading again iOS 14.2 with iTunes. At the end, I didn't restored any backup and reinstalled everything manually... finally the Measure app is working. I already contacted Apple explaining the issue, but they were not able to find an alternative solution, so I decided to move in this way.

hayapon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
千葉県
Thanks for the info everyone.
I changed my phone from iPhone 6s to 12Pro.
At that time I did a direct data transfer to iPhone 12Pro and restored the environment.
I feel that is what caused the problem.
I feel that one solution is not to return the backup from iCloud after initialization.

I'll try to do it when I can get the time.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
I had the same issue. Solved it by doing a reset all settings. Note that this is not the erase all contents and setting options so all the data will still be intact after the process. However, there’s a need to re-add Apple Pay, Face ID and tweak whatever settings to your preference again so it’s still quite a bit of a hassle

hayapon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
千葉県
Very good news.
It was easily resolved by running a [Reset All Settings].
This is an easier solution than the initialization instructed by apple support.
Please try it too.

Thank you so much for posting this information!!!
I appreciate it.

cwagz78

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
Reset all Settings worked for me as well. It seems to have fixed a few other minor visual issues as well. Might be my imagination.

Reactions: hayapon and arn

JimMMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
The settings reset worked for me as well. It was a PITA, but it's good to know there was noting physically wrong with the phone. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: hayapon and arn

hayapon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
千葉県
Reset all Settings worked for me as well. It seems to have fixed a few other minor visual issues as well. Might be my imagination.
It was the same for me.
When I activated the camera, I was given the information to press and hold for video and flick to the left for continuous shooting.
This is the first time I've heard of this change.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
What all did you guys have to set up again after you did the reset? Was it laborious getting your settings back the way you prefer?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Have no issues on my 12 Pro Max. Can easily measure height using measure app.

hayapon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
千葉県
What all did you guys have to set up again after you did the reset? Was it laborious getting your settings back the way you prefer?
Some of the settings on the iPhone will be default, but it's easy to reconfigure.
It didn't affect the apps I was using.

Reactions: Pipper99

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach

It's been a while since I did it but the ones I remember are wallpaper, brightness, text size, wifi password, and backup encryption password.

Reactions: Pipper99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.