iPad [RESOLVED] Current iPad 2017 or wait for the next model (possibly) at the June WWDC?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
2,341
347
The Netherlands
Hi, I'm planning to order an iPad for my spouse as a gift from our family. Should I order the iPad 2017 (current) or wait for a new model presented at the WWDC coming June?

What's you opinion to make the best decision? TIA!

Cheers
 

PeteDin206

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
32
36
I'm not sure if anything will be announced in June, but at this point I'm holding off. The newly released iPad seems a bit underpowered vs what will likely come out in the next few months as it seems to target the low end of the market. I've waited this long, I can wait a few months. Plus it will give me a chance to see what other people are coming out with.
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
828
337
Singapore
Can you help provide answers to these questions if possible? Makes it easier to evaluate your situation

How urgent this gift is?
Is this for a specific event?
How your spouse will use the iPad?
Any budget limit?
 

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
6,797
3,088
Hi, I'm planning to order an iPad for my spouse as a gift from our family. Should I order the iPad 2017 (current) or wait for a new model presented at the WWDC coming June?

What's you opinion to make the best decision? TIA!
There's no guarantee that new iPad models will be presented in June. Apple could wait until October/November to release the new models or even next year.

The 2017 iPad (5th generation) is a budget model. Apple is unlikely to release a new budget model so soon. If new 10" class models are released, they will likely cost $599 for entry level.
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

AceFernalld

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2008
1,766
1,072
Massachusetts
Huh? If you want the 2017 iPad it makes sense to buy it now, because it was just released. There will be no upgrades at WWDC.

If you want an iPad Pro, that's a different story. They've been around a while and upgrades could come at WWDC, but also may not come until this fall.
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
30,297
30,539
There's no guarantee that new iPad models will be presented in June. Apple could wait until October/November to release the new models or even next year.

The 2017 iPad (5th generation) is a budget model. Apple is unlikely to release a new budget model so soon. If new 10" class models are released, they will likely cost $599 for entry level.
Not to mention, Apple releasing hardware in June in the same month as WWDC would be extremely unlikely, as they have strayed away from that in years past and have the developers conference being the primary focus.
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
556
113
Los Angeles, CA
Not to mention, Apple releasing hardware in June in the same month as WWDC would be extremely unlikely, as they have strayed away from that in years past and have the developers conference being the primary focus.
Agreed and honestly once we get in the 3rd and 4th quarters I think Apple is going to be focused on getting the new iPhone released and keeping up with demand into the holiday season. I wouldn't hold out much hope for hardware updates in the 3rd and 4th quarter of 2017.
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

masotime

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2012
2,305
1,851
San Jose, CA
Just buy it. There are practically zero rumors about a new iPad now (no sketches, no "leaked" prototypes) - at this point we could even have to wait until next year to see a really "revolutionary" change in iPads.

Now that iPads are labelled "Pro" products, I'm expecting a 3-year refresh cycle like MacBook Pros, so 2018 may not be as unrealistic as you might imagine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sracer and m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
2,341
347
The Netherlands
Thank you all for your replies, appreciated. I always find it a bit harsh at which point in time to make the wright move. But there's no need to wait for let's say another year or so.

She now uses my old iPad 3, which is definitely EOL on iOS 10, at least so it feels working with it.

Can you help provide answers to these questions if possible? Makes it easier to evaluate your situation

How urgent this gift is?
Is this for a specific event?
How your spouse will use the iPad?
Any budget limit?
1. As soon as possible, but depending on a possible newer model.
2. Not specific.
3. She uses it for surfing, mailing, collecting design pictures (?GB) , and other social media stuff. So absolute no use for a Pro model I presume.
4. Max. 500 euro's

Thanks again!

Cheers
 

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
828
337
Singapore
Thank you all for your replies, appreciated. I always find it a bit harsh at which point in time to make the wright move. But there's no need to wait for let's say another year or so.

She now uses my old iPad 3, which is definitely EOL on iOS 10, at least so it feels working with it.



1. As soon as possible, but depending on a possible newer model.
2. Not specific.
3. She uses it for surfing, mailing, collecting design pictures (?GB) , and other social media stuff. So absolute no use for a Pro model I presume.
4. Max. 500 euro's

Thanks again!

Cheers
No prob! Hmm based on what you said here, you can either go for the iPad 2017 or wait before deciding.

If you are going for the iPad 2017, you can get the 32GB Wifi version at about 420 Euros, or the 128GB Wifi version at about 520 Euros. Both sound fine for your spouse's usage as the specs are already quite good for its price and are indeed serving many people here well. 128GB can go a much longer way though...

If you choose to wait, note that the dates are quite iffy right now and not much is confirmed about the new iPads. The newer processors and a possible increase in RAM in these new iPads will help greatly in surfing the web though since websites are becoming richer in content and web browsing apps are becoming more demanding in terms of resources (which is one of the reasons why I went for an iPad Pro from an iPad Air 1; I am seeing frequent crashes on my Air 1 due to lack of RAM) Also, your spouse's iPad 3 will not be able to get iOS 11 as it is a 32 bit device and Apple plans to allow only 64 bit devices to get iOS 11. It will be advisable to get a 64 bit device soon to be on track.

Either way, I hope there is a backup solution for her in case she needs somewhere else to store design pictures.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

AceFernalld

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2008
1,766
1,072
Massachusetts
1. As soon as possible, but depending on a possible newer model.
2. Not specific.
3. She uses it for surfing, mailing, collecting design pictures (?GB) , and other social media stuff. So absolute no use for a Pro model I presume.
4. Max. 500 euro's
Given this information, I bet she would be perfectly happy with the new iPad (2017) and you would save yourself the time and money involved in waiting for the new Pros.
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
2,341
347
The Netherlands
No prob! Hmm based on what you said here, you can either go for the iPad 2017 or wait before deciding.

If you are going for the iPad 2017, you can get the 32GB Wifi version at about 420 Euros, or the 128GB Wifi version at about 520 Euros. Both sound fine for your spouse's usage as the specs are already quite good for its price and are indeed serving many people here well. 128GB can go a much longer way though...

If you choose to wait, note that the dates are quite iffy right now and not much is confirmed about the new iPads. The newer processors and a possible increase in RAM in these new iPads will help greatly in surfing the web though since websites are becoming richer in content and web browsing apps are becoming more demanding in terms of resources (which is one of the reasons why I went for an iPad Pro from an iPad Air 1; I am seeing frequent crashes on my Air 1 due to lack of RAM) Also, your spouse's iPad 3 will not be able to get iOS 11 as it is a 32 bit device and Apple plans to allow only 64 bit devices to get iOS 11. It will be advisable to get a 64 bit device soon to be on track.

Either way, I hope there is a backup solution for her in case she needs somewhere else to store design pictures.
Thanks for your comprehensive reply with insights, again appreciated! I might just bite the bullet at the start of May and get her the iPad 2017 - 128GB Wifi then. No need for the sim version, because here in The Netherlands we are very lucky having a very dense and high quality public/private Wifi network.

Yes I have a very tight cloud-based-backup scheme installed for her, so moving her design picture to it so now and the will just be fine.

Thanks again, I'll change this thread to RESOLVED then! :cool:

Cheers
 

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
828
337
Singapore
Thanks for your comprehensive reply with insights, again appreciated! I might just bite the bullet at the start of May and get her the iPad 2017 - 128GB Wifi then. No need for the sim version, because here in The Netherlands we are very lucky having a very dense and high quality public/private Wifi network.

Yes I have a very tight cloud-based-backup scheme installed for her, so moving her design picture to it so now and the will just be fine.

Thanks again, I'll change this thread to RESOLVED then! :cool:

Cheers
No prob, if possible go touch and feel the iPad first and make sure it is comfortable enough for daily use!

Also, may want to see if you can get matte screen protectors; I used them with my iPad Air 1 (same screen type as the 2017) and iPad Pro 12.9 (suppposedly non-reflective), made the screen less straining to see but there will be slight loss in picture quality, YMMV
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
1,091
1,600
Apple (or any other respectable company) doesn't announce new products in June or early summer because it'd be stupid to debut a product at the beginning of the year's worst shopping season, Summer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: m4v3r1ck