[RESOLVED]I just don't get it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mangos86, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Mangos86, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

Mangos86 macrumors member

So I went out and got my brand new 13" mbp today. Yes I am aware of the impending refresh. Got a good deal buying on base. To my problem. I brought the new machine home and can't get it to connect to my wireless network for ****. I have 3 pc's connected, 2 iphones, a tv, xbox, blu ray player and kindle hooked up. Everything else works fine. My mbp won't stay connected for more than a few seconds before things start to fail. It connects fine via ethernet, but I don't want to be stuck plugging it in just to use the internet. I have updated my router settings, changed passwords, etc. Everything else still works without a hitch except the new mbp. I have searched mroogle, google and everything else and can't seem to find the exact same problem, and the problems i do find with solutions aren't working for me. Someone must know wtf is going on, so please help. Thanks!

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Wireless router brand/model?
    Router settings?
    Security settings?

3. Mangos86 thread starter macrumors member

Its an older netgear wgr614. Router setting are mostly on automatic (everything) with wpa security. I have tried it on wep and wpa with the same results, everything else except the mbp works

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Are you possibly on a non standard channel (anything but 1, 6 or 11)?

5. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Try connecting to a different network/router and see if that works.

6. Mangos86 thread starter macrumors member

I have tried it on every channel. currently on 11.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good point. It could be a defective wireless card (are they even called that anymore?)

8. Mangos86 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to try that tomorrow. Unfortunately I need to find a friend with a router to test that. I planned on buying a airport extreme down the road anyway, looks like I may need to do that sooner. Still can't understand why every other wifi enabled thing I own works, but not the newest computer? baffles me

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

try refreshing your MAC address list on the router..

I was on a forum where someone had this exact problem on his new laptop.. it showed up in the MAC address list, but he refreshed it anyway and it started working. So.. I guess try that =D

10. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Being that you connect ethernet and not wireless I have to ask if you are using MAC address security.

If you setup your router in the beginning, then you know what I am asking about, if not, you need to find this out.

MAC address security is a very good security method but not friendly at all when trying to setup new devices.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Actually it's very easy to spoof. It's about as useless as WEP.

Good thing to check though.

12. Mangos86 thread starter macrumors member

I do know what you are talking about and it is turned off.

13. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Without specific details, I am afraid, no one can help you.:apple:

14. Mangos86 thread starter macrumors member

What specific details would you like? I'm all ears. Do keep in mind though I have never used a mac before so I am learning how to navigate around.

15. nonameowns macrumors regular

it really simple to find a local network and connect

top bar, see the curve lines icon next to the volume icon, click on it and a drop list will appear with list of local networks. click the one is your network and you're done. if it password protected will have popup asking you toinput the password

also make sure airport is turned on by clicking on on top of droplist

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Lol the OP us well beyond this.

OP try updating your router's firmware if you haven't done so already.

17. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

As much as it pains me to say this, you may have a faulty wireless card. Try connecting to another wireless device, either at a friends or local hotspot in a restaurant. If it works then, it is most likely the router. If not, definitely a bad Mac.

18. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

refresh MAC list on router y0! log into your router.. just google the admin pass for your router.

19. Mangos86 thread starter macrumors member

I have updated my firmware on the router, I know how to access wifi and I have refreshed the mac address page on the router a dozen times. I can get it to work intermittently, but not for very long and very very slowly. I am going to try someone with a different connection tomorrow and if that doesn't narrow it down for me than I will either call apple or just take the damn thing back and get a new one. Thanks for all the help everyone.

20. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Keep us posted -- this is an interesting case.

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm interesting I honestly can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned but if all else fails bring the router, the MacBook, and another device or two that connects and show them what you mean. Because from my experience if you go in there and your MacBook works fine on there perfect hardware they just look at you like your an idiot.

22. newdeal macrumors 68020

for some reason my last couple of MBPs dont play nice with my time capsule either. The connection is fine but it can't access the internet. I have to go into settings and set a static IP and manually enter the DNS addresses (just use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) for it to see the internet

23. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I agree about trying it on a friend's wireless network. I have a wireless connection at work with a linksys router that my MBP just dosen't seem to get along well with at all. It will occasionally not see it and I need to manually connect. But the MBP is perfect everywhere else including with my TC at home, so I know its not the MB.

But I your case, if it does not work outside of the house, take it back immediately and ask for a new machine. If it works at a friends house, then get a new router. The TC is excellent.

24. TitanApe macrumors member

25. jljue macrumors regular

I had to reboot my D-Link router to get my iPhone 4 and one of my MBP's to connect properly the first time that I wanted them on my wireless network because they couldn't establish a good connection or wouldn't properly authenticate. I probably should have rebooted when I couldn't get my girlfriend's cousin's Sony Vaio onto the network around New Years, but I was too sick from the flu to think of that at the time.