*Resolved* June 2009 13" MBP - Trackpad Physical Click No Longer Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by analytical44, Aug 21, 2009.

1. analytical44 macrumors regular

Hello all. About 3 days ago I noticed that right clicking on items was becoming increasingly difficult to do. The system would only register about 75% of my right clicks. Later that day the left click stopped working almost entirely. When I go to drag items, I either get no response or the pointer will grab the item briefly and then let it go after moving a very short distance. It does seem to work when I put a significant amount of pressure on the trackpad when clicking but I've seen some horror threads about trackpads cracking so I'm attempting to avoid applying too much pressure.

After doing a few Google searches, I found a couple of threads on Apple Forums with people describing similar problems. I have read a couple posts from users saying tightening a screw underneath the trackpad has worked for them. While it seems like an easy enough process, I made an appointment with the genius bar to avoid potentially voiding my warranty.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems or know of any possible causes/fixes? The idea that a screw has come loose seems feasible considering that it does seem to work if I press hard enough. I dunno...any thoughts are appreciated.

2. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I've owned two unibody macbook pros (15 & 17).

Both of them after 30 days of use begin showing signs of wear on the trackpad. It actually starts to recess on both bottom corners. I right click on the bottom right corner and my thumb just kinda finds its way to the left corner for everything else.

it's pretty noticeable when you run your thumb across the bottom of the pad compared to the top.

I didn't own the 15" long enough for it to fail but it definitely started to show signs.

Actually, I only owned the 17" for one week and I flew to LA for a conference and was demoing my software at a booth when this guy who was drunk just started using the trackpad like it was a pickup truck. he was nearly punching th track pad, using all 5 fingers and spitting on my display with a drunken slur.

so my 17" trackpad is actually worse than the 15" was after 4 months in only one week caues this guy figured the trackpad was as solid as the rest of the computer. I was pretty pissed and bought the 3 year applecare after that day.

3. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

You never took it in to be looked at? Do you experience intermittent responsiveness while clicking?

4. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Nope. In fact, as far as "working" it's perfect. No track pad problems at all. My fear is that over time, it will get worst and get "mushy" and eventaully stop clicking.

Of course I can't prove that because I have only owned these computers for a couple of months.

5. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

I took it into the Apple store this morning and they took care of the problem. The "Genius" I spoke to wanted to replace the entire trackpad but I asked if they could try tightening the screw before they did anything drastic. He took it in the back and the tech told him that he had seen the issue before and all that needed to be done was an adjustment of the sensitivity and a tightening of the screw. 15 minutes later the problem was solved. If you are experiencing a similar problem, I'd recommend taking it in...should be an easy fix.

6. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I'm not surprised .... having the whole trackpad click (I would actually more accurately describe it as a "clunk" or "cachunk") doesn't seem like a great idea. However, I understand the concept behind saving the space so there is more room for doing gestures etc.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is the screw that needs to be adjusted something anyone can do? I ask because it seems as though it may be an issue that is repeated over time.

8. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed, not too painful

I believe it is, although I'm not quite sure what tools are required. Also, the genius said the tech had to adjust the sensitivity somehow. I have no idea how that is accomplished. I'll post links to the threads that I came across regarding similar issues. I believe one user said that there is a triangle shaped screw underneath the trackpad that can be tightened with a small flat head.