[Resolved]Legal Question about having music in my app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by alexandergre, Aug 17, 2009.

1. alexandergre macrumors member

alexandergre

Hi.
    Im working on a racing game where the user can select a background music while driving. the game wont be free. I dont know
    1.Can I include some songs in my app? like LadyGaga Pokerface downloaded from itunes?
    2.Can I stream a song from youtube/mtv.com in my game?
    3. if the answer of question 1&2 is no, then how can I include/stream music from famous artists? contact the company to get a license?

the other option i was thinking about is to use the music from the itunes library in the iphone. But this is my second option. Would prefer the first one.

or

my app would have some background music but if the user wants to listen then buy it from the itunes.

2. iTim314 macrumors 6502

I'm no legal expert, but I been with Drum and Bugle corps enough to know that if you're using any part of someone's music commercially, you need to obtain a license from them. Like your game, it won't be free. But if you sell enough copies at X price, you should break even.

3. alexandergre thread starter macrumors member

alexandergre

I knew the answer was this but I wanted to be sure.

what if I just stream it from somewhere else?
    spotify does it.

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

The answer in pretty much all cases is that it depends on the licensing agreements or terms of use of the copyright holders or web sites. If you download music files from somewhere, unless its license terms are that it can be used freely, then you most likely need to get permission, and pay for it.

For something like streaming music you're going to have to look at the terms of use on the sites. There's also the possibility that you'll run afoul of apple on this. How many apps stream youtube videos?

5. alexandergre thread starter macrumors member

alexandergre

I got the same answer as yours in another forum. Thnx dude.
    I guess I have to use the iphone music library.